FireFox upgrade question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
I guess it's time to upgrade my Foxfire browser on my Mac laptop - OS X Leopard.

I have never done this on my mac. I don't know where to start.

I suppose I find Foxfire's website and somewhere it will have an upgrade for Mac's, but it would be reassuring to have some suggestions in advance for what to do and what to avoid.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer

Jann

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Click on the Firefox menu and select "Check for Updates". Mozilla has been fairly active in the last several months updating both Firefox and Thunderbird twice.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cascag - thank you.

I found that...

But now, do I need to look for browser that's "Mac specific" ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox's update feature will only download the Mac version. In fact, even if you go to their webpage, it will offer up the Mac download (there's an OS detection script on their website which detects your OS and offers up the appropriate download link).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, maybe I'm more confused than I think -- Is "update" the same as "upgrade" with FF? I can see where to do updates, but nothing that tells me how to replace my old, outdated "version" of FF with a new one.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Typically a company will "update" their software from an older version to a newer one, while they will "upgrade" your browser to their brand from whatever inferior 3rd party browser you were using previously. Firefox's update process is super simple... toss the old one, replace with the new one. Unlike Windows versions, which have support files scattered hither and yon, all support files for the application itself are self contained.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, update is equivalent to upgrade in this case. Let Firefox update itself and you'll be good to go.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all so very much. This is such a wonderfull, trouble-free computer, I would hate to do something to mess it up. Got a big storm brewing here now, so will give that a chance to pass before giving it a try.

Cheers,
jann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thank you! I decided to check myself when I saw this thread. The update was painless, as always.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it wasn't as painless for me as it was for ToMacsh - I had icons I didn't know what were for or what to do with, or how to remove the old FF version, but it looks like I've got everything pieced together. The Mac knew how to remove the old version, even if I didn't!

Again my thanks to all.

Jann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.