HELP: In hotel on WIFI, trying to hook up VOIP Adapter to my Macbook via ethernet

mpt

Reaction score
I'm currently in a hotel and I brought my VOIP adapter with me. I have wireless internet in the hotel. I can't figure out how to hook my VOIP adapter up to my macbook through the wired ethernet port.

I've enabled internet and web sharing and selected to share the wireless connection with my ethernet port.

The hotel wireless IP address is 192.168.14.122

I feel that in the network system preferences is where my problem is. I'm not sure if I should select DHCP with manual, DHCP, or whatever setting I need to use to allow me to use my VOIP service.

Thanks for the help.

What are the steps I need to do?

OP
M

mpt

Reaction score
Could it be the cable I'm using? I'm using the network cable that connected my VOIP adapter to my router at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Can you not figure out where to plug it in? The settings? The Hotels network?

OP
M

mpt

Reaction score
The voip adapter doesn't connect to the internet. I can't get a dial tone.

I have the macbook connected to wifi, I have the adapter plugged into the ethernet port. I enabled internet sharing from the wifi to the ethernet port. I enabled web sharing, and turned off my firewall. I still can't get a signal as the light keeps flashing and no dial tone is present.

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the settings. When I click on network, under DHCP it says IP is assigned but the device can't connect to the internet. If I change it to DHCP manual settings, i'm not sure what I should type in as my settings.

Do you understand the problem? Even though I feel like I'm doing everything right, the device seems like it won't connect to the internet. Am I using the right cable? Cross over vs straight, I just grabbed the same cable that I had the device plugged into at home that connected it to my router. Will the cable still work in this application? Why isn't the automatic DHCP working? It connects to the device and gives it an IP address but it says it cannot connect to the internet.

Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you ask someone at the hotel to assist? I'm sure they must have someone with knowledge of their network who can help out. Of course there is always the possibility that their network restricts devices such as a VOIP connector.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can the Mac access the internet?

The other issue might be that the Hotel has the requisite ports blocked on their network to keep individuals from hogging their limited bandwidth to the detriment of other guests.

OP
M

mpt

Reaction score
Yes, the mac can access the internet, it just can't merge the two together

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the MAc recognize that the VOIP adaptor is there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.