• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DIY 103 - Wallpaper

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am in the process of finishing the two last major items on my honey-do list, painting and installing floor tile in the kitchen. So here is the problem in the dining room and laundry room area there is wall paper on the walls. In the laundry area it only a small part, so I can remove it with no problem. The problem area is the dining room. The wall paper is in very good shape except along the edges. Where corners of the wall as it move to hall way. What I would like to know can you paint of wall paper or is it better to remove it? I am afraid to remove the wall paper, because of what it may be hiding under it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I am by no means an expert in that field, but Im pretty sure that if you paint over wallpaper it will eventually warp and bubble.. I've heard of this happening quite often when people did paint over wallpaper...

F

Fomer

Remove the wallpaper, I am not an expert but my mom is best friends with someone who lays wallpaper for a living and I remember when she was over here she said it had to be removed or the paint wouldnt stick right... look ruiny or something. I wouldnt worry to much about what its hiding we were going to lay new carpet so we pulled up ours only to discover amazing hardwood floors that have never been used. Needless to say we cancled the new carpet order. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I applaud you on your do-it-yourself home improvement-ability. I started painting my place in April , and it's still not done :)

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am slow also. i can find better and other things to do instead of painting. lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Just remove the wallpaper.

They sell stuff that is supped to make it come right off...

or you can steam it off

sKaD

T

TylerMoney

you definently want to remove the wall paper..trues me...you don't...and it might look ok for a little bit, and then all **** is going to break loose, and you'll be kicking yourself.....So just scrap as much off as you can, and you should be alright.

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an update. I finished the installation of the floor tile. I now have tile in both bathrooms, the laundry room, dining room and the kithen. Painting has been a slow project. I have been avoiding the dining room because of the wall paper. I thought that I had a handle on my honey do list, but it is getting longer and not shorter. One of the new and bigger task is to clean the garage. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.