Should I buy a MacBook Pro for my degree (Aero MEng)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
...or should I just go with a good PC laptop for now & buy a Mac desktop once I've saved more cash?

I won't bore you with the details, but I had planned on buying a MBP for university when I was going to be doing an Astrophysics Master's degree including a year in the US (one of the things that appealed about buying a Mac was how much easier it would be to get it serviced in America if necessary). However, I've since changed disciplines to Aeronautical Engineering & am having trouble legitimising the extra up-front cost.

When I was going to be doing Astrophysics the MBP would've been quite sufficient for all that I would have needed, with all the Apps readily available & the specs more than sufficient. Now I've changed to Aeronautics I find myself in a situation where many of the Apps I'll require are either not available for Mac, or only in versions that are inferior in functionality (& yet more expensive) than the PC versions.

Basically, if I did have a Mac I'd need to dual boot Windows anyway & I'd need to get a top-of-the-line MBP in order for its specs to be up to the minimum requirements of some of the Apps I'll need... Lower build-quality as they may be, I can find PC laptops with the required specs for barely more than half as much of the education prices...

I do want to get a Mac at some point for personal & general use, but I'm gonna need a laptop of some type running Windows (currently got a desktop PC that does work, but has insufficient specs & obviously can't be taken into class!) straight off the bat for my degree (and would like to eventually have two computers for redundancy); so would you agree - given my student budget - that the best option for now is a PC laptop with either a Mac Mini or iMac once I've saved enough money, or would those of you with more experience using Macs in an academic and/or engineering capacity still advise that a MBP (+Windows install) is worth the extra cost?

Cheers for any replies :Smirk:

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not sure that anyone can really help with the "is it worth it" question. That answer is different for everyone depending on what's most important and what they can afford. However, given your major, it does seem likely that you'll at least need a copy of Windows running either on a Windows machine - or on the Mac using BootCamp or a virtualized environment. I can tell you that I just put Win 7 on my iMac using VMWare Fusion and am thrilled with how it runs. You can find some excellent deals in the Apple refurb store that make the cost delta a little more palatable.

C

chas_m

The way I might look at it is that for one somewhat-more-expensive price, I can get "two" computers -- a Windows one that runs incredibly well, AND a Mac one that runs incredibly well.

I have a couple of clients who boot into Windows (via the Boot Camp partition) for work each day on the MBPs and *do not* use the Mac side at all from 9 to 5. But when they get home ... that's a different story. Same machine, totally different experience after hours.

If you're SURE that there are no Mac equivalents or alternatives to the programs you need for your coursework, you MAY want to load up a best-you-can-afford MBP and follow the "business/personal" path of the clients I mentioned, or you MAY want to spend roughly the same amount of money on a lesser PC notebook (that still does the job, obviously) and an iMac for home. Obviously you can pass documents, media and other things between the two fairly easily.

You have options. :)

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Thank you both for your quick replies

Taking into account what you both said, and considering a few other factors, I think I will go for the PC laptop now, Mac desktop soon option.

I realised, considering the kind of workshops & other environments I'll be working in, as wonderfully engineered as MBPs are they're probably considerably less rugged than a cheaper plastic laptop; when I finally get me a beautifully-crafted aluminium & glass Mac I don't want to take it to places full of denting/scratching/cracking hazards! I'll let the PC be the sacrificial pawn that only needs to last the four years of my degree & the Mac will have pride of place safe on my desk! :p

Also, the fact that my father is very generously paying for it; but has said he's only willing to stretch to ~£800 - enough for either an entry-level 11" MacBook Air (at education pricing), or a PC laptop with the kind of killer specs I'm gonna need - kind of sways the debate firmly away from getting a Mac just yet!

I'll make do with the iMacs in the university computer labs for now & hopefully be able to get a student job & save-up to buy my own soon. When I finally do have one, this will most definitely be my first port of call for advice & generally showing it off ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Nothing wrong with getting what you need and what the budget (or your Father's) will support. Good luck - and even though you're running Windows - there's nothing that says you can't still hang out here. Do make sure you check out the refurb store before making a final decision though. Those machines are as good as new and carry the same warranty - and there are often some incredibly good deals to be had there - better than the student discount even. Good luck in school. :)

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked the refurb store & saw nothing in my price range that's suitable at present, but I will still bear it in mind for once I've saved-up enough to actually get a Mac.

Thank you once again for the advice & your well wishes; I think I will stick around, seems like a friendly place here :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.