ASUS RT-N56U vs Time Capsule Wireless Routers. Thoughts??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011, 13" MacBook Pro, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5, 320GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS X Lion
Well it looks like I am going to switch from my DSL setup to a Cable broadband setup. Currently I am just running a Actiontec PK5000 DSL modem. It is combo modem/router. When I switch to Cox Cable I am going to buy a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard modem but I am still trying to figure out which wireless router to buy. It down between the ASUS RT-N56U and the Apple Time Capsule.

I have a pretty easy set up right now which consists of Win 7 PC, MBP w/Lion, Canon Wifi printer and a few wifi phones etc. I will also direct connect the dish network receiver and xbox. I would add a external hard drive to the ASUS router. Which would provide an overall better network? I like the TC because it seems that it would be an easy setup. I do plan to replace the Win 7 with a Mac Mini or iMac in the future. I like the reviews of the ASUS. Seems fast with good range and has a lot extra features that the TC does not. I always like the idea that I could use those features down the road if I needed. I also might try and set up a VPN passthough.

What are everyone thoughts? Thanks

Dustin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Always had good luck with Apple and D-Link never tried an Asus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
In late June, I bought a Surfboard 6120 to replace a Comcast router and a Airport Extreme 5. I have been very happy with the range and quality of the connection. We've got 2 Apple computers, 2 iPads, a PC laptop, 2 iPhones, 3 printers and a blu-ray player connected to it. They all seem to be playing well with each other and I LOVE the ease of setup

Reaction score
I just got an N56U and its a beast. Set up is just as easy, if not easier than the Airport Utility. Probably cant go wrong with either, Im just a bit fed up with Apple peripherals so I went with the Asus

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.