• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My thoughts on Windows 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have been playing around with the developer build of Windows 8 for the better part of the day, and I have to say I'm intrigued. I've been a Mac user for almost 6 years now, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

OS X Lion is superior to Windows 8 in my opinion, as far as a desktop/laptop OS goes. Windows 8 seems like a poor fit on a system that uses a keyboard and mouse instead of a touchscreen. Yes, you can enter the "traditional" Windows interface and have an experience very similar to Windows 7, but Windows 8 tries as hard as it can, whenever it can, to shunt the user back into its Metro UI. On a desktop, at least to me, the Metro UI is infuriating. All apps are fullscreen, but unlike Lion which allows you to do things like toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode, and pull up the menu bar while in fullscreen mode, Windows 8 leaves the user with no such options (or at least no such clearly visible options.

On the other hand, I think that Windows 8 may be the best tablet OS I have seen to date. It looks to be better that iOS 5 (at least from what Apple has shown of iOS 5). I have had the iPad since it first came out, and upgraded to the iPad 2 as soon as it was available. I am a big fan of tablets and I believe that the iPad with iOS is currently the best tablet on the market. If Apple doesn't seriously step up their game, that will soon change. The Metro UI is extremely tablet/finger friendly. If you want, you can stay in the Metro UI and use a Windows 8 tablet much like an iPad, but if you need to do something within "regular windows" you have that option. (I think apple is moving towards this, especially since Lion seems like it would be very tablet friendly with all of it's multitouch features, launchpad, and fullscreen apps. They just need to unify the two soon, before Windows 8 can gain too much traction). I also really like how you can run two "fullscreen" apps in the Metro UI side by side, where each app takes up half of the screen. That's a feature I've been wanting in the iPad since the beginning.

Bottom Line: Microsoft is delivering an OS with all of the usability of a Tablet OS, but all of the functionality of a desktop OS (like I said before, works great on the Tablet, hate it as a desktop OS). Unless Apple steps up it's game (by allowing things like two apps running on a screen simultaneously in iOS and/or allowing users to run some form of OS X on the iPad if they choose too) my next tablet may run Windows 8...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I got the dev preview too and I've noticed a few things. Now, I'm running it in VirtualBox - figured I would preface my comments with that.
Yes, you can enter the "traditional" Windows interface and have an experience very similar to Windows 7, but Windows 8 tries as hard as it can, whenever it can, to shunt the user back into its Metro UI.
This is excessively frustrating. The start button no longer exists other than to bring you back to the Metro UI and launch a few apps.

Also, logging out doesn't seem to work - it just hangs. So, I have to manually close the VB window. 90% of the apps on the Metro screen won't launch which is frustrating. I can change my settings though! ;)

I installed Opera to see how it handled new apps and, as expected, it added a tile for it to the Metro screen. Unfortunately, clicking it brought Windows back to the "traditional" desktop which served as yet another subtle reminder that there are two desktop paradigms at work here which screams inconsistency to me.

I'm not sure what to think yet but I'm leaning towards thinking this is a step back from a UI design perspective. And, unless they change a few things, I'll probably end up strongly disliking Windows 8. Tablets and desktops/notebooks need two distinct UIs and it's a shame that MS is butchering both to appease both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm kind of confused right now. I've been reading about 8 having a LOT of problems with launching programs(I won't ever call a program an app unless it's on a Mac). Is this a problem within 8, or does it have something to do with it running on a Mac? I know this is still a dev preview, but still, I don't really ever remember Microsoft users so ticked as they are now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm kind of confused right now. I've been reading about 8 having a LOT of problems with launching programs(I won't ever call a program an app unless it's on a Mac).
Not sure what the cause is but 90% of the Metro tiles don't do anything when clicked. I can't even get the weather app to open.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got the DP and burned it to DVD. Trying to find which computer to install it on and will report back with my findings. I bet I will come up with the same basic comments as Van did. Everything I have read everywhere backs what he reported.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I got the dev preview too and I've noticed a few things. Now, I'm running it in VirtualBox - figured I would preface my comments with that.
This is excessively frustrating. The start button no longer exists other than to bring you back to the Metro UI and launch a few apps.

Also, logging out doesn't seem to work - it just hangs. So, I have to manually close the VB window. 90% of the apps on the Metro screen won't launch which is frustrating. I can change my settings though! ;)

I installed Opera to see how it handled new apps and, as expected, it added a tile for it to the Metro screen. Unfortunately, clicking it brought Windows back to the "traditional" desktop which served as yet another subtle reminder that there are two desktop paradigms at work here which screams inconsistency to me.

I'm not sure what to think yet but I'm leaning towards thinking this is a step back from a UI design perspective. And, unless they change a few things, I'll probably end up strongly disliking Windows 8. Tablets and desktops/notebooks need two distinct UIs and it's a shame that MS is butchering both to appease both.

A large part of the issue could be because you are running it in a VM, I have heard that Windows 8 does not run well in a VM. I agree that Microsoft is butchering the desktop to appease both, but it seems like it would run decently on a device with a touchscreen.

I do believe that if there are two distinct UI's as there are in Windows 8, the user should never be taken from one UI to the other unless the user explicitly chooses to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Not sure what the cause is but 90% of the Metro tiles don't do anything when clicked. I can't even get the weather app to open.

You are running it on screen with a res. lower than 1024x768.
Metro apps are pure pixel matched apps like a webpage (they are JS+HTML), this makes things easy on the dev, they support 1024x768 as min. Ideal is 1366x768 (MBA 11)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are running it on screen with a res. lower than 1024x768.
Metro apps are pure pixel matched apps like a webpage (they are JS+HTML), this makes things easy on the dev, they support 1024x768 as min. Ideal is 1366x768 (MBA 11)
Didn't know that, thanks! I just wish Windows would tell you this when you tried to open them.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
downloading now. Will report back with pisstakes soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, Sonicjet is right. When 8 first installed, it defaulted to 800x600. IE would not even run. So I got suspicious and checked. Set it to 1024x768 and everything runs fine now.

I will mess with it a lot more and come back to this thread and post my opinion, but right now the GUI is so cartoon kid toy like.

I did post more in the 8 Vs Lion thread.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, Sonicjet is right. When 8 first installed, it defaulted to 800x600. IE would not even run. So I got suspicious and checked. Set it to 1024x768 and everything runs fine now.
Same here. Set it 1024x768 and all is well in "Metro land." I can finally get my weather update because we all know weather apps aren't common. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here. Set it 1024x768 and all is well in "Metro land." I can finally get my weather update because we all know weather apps aren't common. ;)

No, not even that Lion has a Weather anything! :D Grin

Did the weather App make the UI jerk a bit on your end?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dashboard widget?

Oh, it sure did. I suspect it has something to do with the animated background which is entirely unnecessary.

Thanks for that. My Notebook also has integrated graphics. Maybe a Desktop with powerful video card might fare better.

I was kidding about the No weather in Lion! :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. My Notebook also has integrated graphics. Maybe a Desktop with powerful video card might fare better.
Not only do I have a 3 year old integrated graphics chipset but I'm running it in a VM without 3D or 2D acceleration support enabled. So, don't use my poor experiences of the "fascinating weather background" as a sign of things to come. Haha.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember, I am not using a VM and got the same results. The ATI chipset in my notebook is not that bad. I will see if I can try it on a desktop system later and see if it's any better. I have a feeling it's the Video Driver as there is no ATI driver for 8 that I could find yet for my machine. It's some Microsoft thing and that usually has very slow graphics.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right, you're not running it in a VM. I take it that you got it working off of the external then.

Supposedly, Win 7 apps work with Win 8 DP but it looks like drivers don't count. The VBox guest additions wouldn't install so I'm guessing the GPU ones won't either.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the Mac was fine with the external but the Windows 8 installer would not and Flat out said Windows 8 can not boot off any Firewire (1394), USB2 external drive! I was beyond mad as if it would have let me install, the Mac would have booted from it.

So I ended up installing for now on a fresh 80GB seagate in my AMD 64 bit Notebook.

In the iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 2600, the weather thing might be a lot smoother. :D Oh well. I have OSX!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bottom Line: Microsoft is delivering an OS with all of the usability of a Tablet OS, but all of the functionality of a desktop OS (like I said before, works great on the Tablet, hate it as a desktop OS). Unless Apple steps up it's game (by allowing things like two apps running on a screen simultaneously in iOS and/or allowing users to run some form of OS X on the iPad if they choose too) my next tablet may run Windows 8...

To me, this is just another example of Microsoft's ineptitude and short-sightedness. The "Tablet PC" has been tried (and failed) so many times now, it makes me wonder when they're finally going to figure out that their formula needs some work.

The inherent problem is, they need to stop thinking of the tablet as just another "PC form factor", it's not. It needs to be designed from the ground-up to work without a keyboard and a mouse. If it ever needs one, it fails.

So, while it seems great on paper that you can manipulate the machine with the full-fledged desktop metaphor, like you could any Windows box, in reality it's going to feel just as kludgy as it did on the Tablet PC.

What's worse about Windows 8 (on tablets) is that it won't be able to run Windows apps. So, consumer confusion is going to be its death knell. People will buy it assuming that Windows is Windows and see it as an advantage over an iPad. But when they find that they can't run those apps, they'll be disappointed in the lack luster (almost non-existant) selection of Windows 8 tablet apps.

Even if it did run Windows apps, it would suck because you'd again be in a position where you're manipulating UIs designed for keyboard/mouse with your fingers or a stylus (another place where the Tablet PC always fell short).

What's worse is that there's a full NT OS under the tablet-style UI, with all the trimmings. So battery life will suffer, as will the smooth seamless user interface experience that those accustomed to iPads enjoy today.

Apple showed the industry how to build a tablet the right way. Microsoft just didn't get the memo. They're still trying to stuff Windows everywhere, and will fail once again - except that this time, they'll tick off regular PC users AND developers in the process with ambiguity in the UI and now another processor architecture.

I agree that iOS needs a freshening. I think iOS 5 will be a nice improvement, but I do think that they need some kind of centralized "kiosk" screen for information streaming, in the same vein as Windows 8 (at least on the iPad). I'm certain Apple will figure it out.

Unfortunately, I think Microsoft continues to circle the toilet. They need to take the cue from Apple and scale up Windows Phone 7 into a tablet-friendly OS. Repackaging Windows 8 for a new generation of tablet PCs is a huge mistake. What sounds great in concept, doesn't always pan out in execution - and I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what Microsoft will find (yet again).

Hopefully at some point they'll oust old Ballmer and get someone with half a brain and some imagination/vision at the helm.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i quite like the GUI changes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.