PHP and My Sql/Larry Ullman

M

MrPencil

It seems that there are many knowledgable people here with php. I want to learn php and mysql, and since I know pretty much nothing about it on the technical side, I would like to start out with a good book. I have spent some time on amazon and this book seems like it would be good for me to start out with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...n=507846&s=books&v=glance?tag=macforums0e4-20

Has anyone read this book? Opinions please.
Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have not read it, but Larry is a guru so I would say it's probably an excellent book :)

OP
M

MrPencil

Thanks for the reply. I went out and purchased this book, and I will begin my studying soon. I'm also looking into webhosting so I don't have to use my computer as the server and have the possibility of having my isp terminate my service and fine me.

OP
M

MrPencil

Basically I am building a website for the car club that i am in, and i've noticed that php is going to allow me to do more with the website easier. (once i learn it properly) I will need a gallery, forums, guestbook, applications for new recruits, etc. To attempt to do all of that in html (if possible) would be a real pain in my behind. But if I can make practice sites with the links you provided, that is something I have to look into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Probably not a good idea to start off your PHP career by attempting to build a gallery and forums and guestbook - you can get all of them free from hotscripts.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.