• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

College question!

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Hi,

I am 17 years old and I am in my last high school year.

I am a bit confused of what to study in collage, I have plenty of things I want to study :)

I like programing ( I am not that good caz I did not study it I just surfed the internet for info ) I made 3 math programs in windows and none in mac but I made apps others did. Open source apps ( I did not know what to make ) and watched some videos and read some books. I know only 2 programing languages : Cocoa touch and VB.NET.

I also look for PLC programing. But the only thing I know about is that it’s a machine programing language for factories and stuff like that.

I think of also being either a pilot or a plane engineer.

Some people told me about Business Administration (we call it that I don’t know what you call it)

I think of studying in Germany with my brother, he is studying computer networks

I am ok in Math and good in physics and chemistry, I hate biology :)

I am not writing this caz I don’t know what to study I am writing this caz I am afraid of studying something and I don’t find a job or I find a job but with low payment.

Please answer me and explain why
I would relay appreciate it
Sorry if my English is bad :)
Regards
Khaled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Don't feel like you have to choose what you want to do immediately. The first two years of college are pretty much the same for everyone... Math, Languages, Humanities... all the general studies requirements. You really won't be getting into any of your major courses until your Junior year, at which point you'll have a better understanding of your skills, interests and what course of study will best fit your goals. Only you will be able to look at your talents and decide where they would be applied most effectively. A guidance counselor can also help you narrow down your choices and help give you some direction.

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much EvenStranger, I guess I will have to wait ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yep. The number one major for college freshmen in the US is "undecided".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
I knew of a man with the same first name as you. His name is Khaled Mardam-Bey. He studied programming also, amongst other studies ... he is the person that wrote the script for mIRC. The chat program. Once you get your first year in a college, only then will you get a feeling of where you would like to venture. Remember...ALWAYS ask questions...it is then you will learn...GOOD LUCK to you!

BRIAN

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Moved to more appropriate forum...not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

- Nick

OP
Kax

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moved to more appropriate forum...not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

- Nick

sorry my bad, I opened a lot of mac-fourms tabs I think I got lost. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I can think of a few friends who changed their major at least 2 or 3 times. I only changed once, and wish I did something different. The most I have heard of was 7 times (and she graduated first in her high school).

To avoid the difficult task of changing majors, go undecided as mentioned. Most institutions require students to be 'paired' with an advisor. This person is important, if they don't seem to care about your interests get a new one. This may seem counter productive since you are interested in computer programming your advisor may be in literature, healthcare, or fine arts. They are there to help you with the tasks you need to do like registering for classes.

One other thing that i sort-of wish I did in college, was attend other classes (ones your not enrolled in). I was not a good student by any measure, but I can say that there were teachers that i wanted to hear lecture, but never did. It won't kill you to go to something you don't know well and just listen.

Go Undecided, then decide. Usually by 2nd/3rd year.. thats the custom in the states.. IDK about Germany.
gl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.