Media server using a NAS device

Reaction score
I would like to setup a media server utilizing NAS technology. I was just curious if anyone here is doing something similar and what products you are using.

I would connect a PS3 and an ATV2 for streaming locally and would like to connect my iPad (possibly via url) to stream over the WAN.

I'm currently looking at the QNAP TS-419P+, it seems a little overkill for what exactly I'm trying to accomplish. But I'm ok with overkill... ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would like to setup a media server utilizing NAS technology. I was just curious if anyone here is doing something similar and what products you are using.

I would connect a PS3 and an ATV2 for streaming locally and would like to connect my iPad (possibly via url) to stream over the WAN.

I'm currently looking at the QNAP TS-419P+, it seems a little overkill for what exactly I'm trying to accomplish. But I'm ok with overkill... ;)

There are multiple posts on this topic covering different aspects. Suggest you use the Search feature from the toolbar.

Regardless, I use a D-Link DNS323, MacMini and ATV2 to stream video (the files reside on my D-Link NAS with the iTunes library on my MacMini (sharing turned on).

EDIT: I also use Filebrowser APP on my iPad to directly access the NAS and selectively stream video.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, when I did the search i didn't see anything recent. Or I just need to brush up on my searching abilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
ATV2 can only stream from an iTunes library with Home Sharing (out of the box) so you'd need a PC/Mac to run the iTunes library . . . unless you jailbreak it in which case it can stream direct from a NAS device.
PS3 can handle most NAS devices, happier if it's DLNA compliant though.

Stream to iPad is a little trickier without a Mac/PC to run a transcoder/server. There are apps (as mentioned) that can stream direct from a NAS if the files it's streaming are in a suitable MP4 format. But if it's AVIs et al it'll want to copy them over first before playing..... unless you have some kind of media server on the NAS, such as Twonky etc. I noticed the NAS you've mentioned has a Media Server but I'm unsure of it's capabilities

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.