WD My Book external drive help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.9 GHz OSX Yosemite 10.10
Hope someone can help me. I've been using external drives to back up my macbook with no problems. I recently purchased a WD My Book 1TB external drive and have backed up files. I had never tried to retrieve files until now...and I can't locate any of my backups. When I try the retrieve tab, all that pops up is the screen that directs me to select where I want the retrieved files to go. The "apply" option for retrieved contents is grayed out. I didn't think locating my files would be this difficult...

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What backup application did you use ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used the WD SmartWare. I just followed the prompts when I installed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I never used the Smartware but did you update the firmware for the drive ,unless I am mistaken they got an across the board update for the last week or two in September for both Smartware and drivers. You could also try Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utilities.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did not update...will try and see if that works. Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I finally had time to spend hours and hours trying to get the drive to work. Still nothing. Everything appears to have installed, including firmware update and smartware update. But when I go to "retrieve" option, there are no files listed. But the drive itself is showing content backed up. I keep getting prompt to install smartware update. I don't have enough space on my hard drive to use Time Machine to back up. Any help is appreciated. I feel like I wasted my money. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.