• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Poll: Which SSD would you buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I already purchased an OWC 60GB SSD. Now I need the second.
That choice was easy. The second ssd is a little tougher. I found a 200GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro RE for $375 used. I want the RE version because I want to be able to run raid as soon as I can get a second version of that.
NOTE: You do not need the RE version to use it in raid, but it(it) designed better with higher over-provisioning to protect it against file errors. Non RE models only use 7% over-provisioning.
The only problem with this route is that the warranty wil not be valid.
My other option is to buy a new 240GB non RE for 399 new. Obviously, I wouldn't use this for raid.
My main issue is that these drives are already kind of "old" with their 3gbp/s as apposed to the 6G drives that are available. This is why I want the RE so that I can run raid and match the performance of the 6G down the road when it eventually gets cheaper.

If you have another suggestion, please tell me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I chose other for the simple reason they need to come down in price and up in size
thats just my take on it.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Haha..that's not a good enough reason for other. I was actually hoping for another idea. I'm going to buy one of them regardless. I just don't know which is right. They both do what they are supposed to do perfectly, but the RE has a longer life potential since it can raid(which I DO plan(1000000%) on running whenever I find another one used). This is my thinking of getting even since I can't use the 6G on my MBP.

If I had to place a safe bet, I would assume that an enterprise-grade SSD from OWC would have the least percentage of problems per 100 sold. This is what is pushing me towards the 200GB RE. I wish someone on here would speak up if they had one and get an opinion from them.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well, thanks for the votes guys. It's enough for me to know what the more logical choice is. I just ordered everything I was going to order. I'll show you what I ordered for my MBP via actual pictures. I also got a new locking hitch pin, step bars, and light taillight tint for my Honda Pilot:) Feels like xmas:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.