PreSonus, M-Audio or Focusrite??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Ok, so Ive had my 17" MBP for about 1 year now and ive gotten pretty comfortable with it.

I have decided to go with Logic Pro to record. The best price I've found is $447 on mac mall versus $499 everywhere else.

1 last choice left for me to make before I start getting to work on recording with this thing :D.

So pretty much I do this for fun, but I want good quality recordings so I could possibly make some $ on the side if its not too much to ask.
Im basically looking for an 8 mic input audio interface since the max I record is 6-7 which is basically drums and guitar. My music style is rock/blues.

I currently own a PreSonus Fire Studio Mobile (2 channel) which I bought just to mess with Garage Band. It's ok, I think the problem is Garage Band. I don't feel like I have much control over the levels. Which is why I think the upgrade to Logic will help the over all "recording experience"... or maybe I havent messed with it long enough? Any way.....

I came across these options:

$399 - PreSonus Fire Studio Project
PreSonus FireStudio Project Interface at zZounds

$499 - Focusrite Saffire Pro
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 I/O Interface at zZounds

$699 - M-Audio Pro Fire 2626
M-Audio ProFire 2626 Firewire Interface at zZounds

For the money, what's the main difference in these units? Is 1 unit better quality than the other? Or would you pay more for the extra inputs? Would producing a recording with one over another be a difference in sound quality?

Sorry for the long thread here guys, im just stuck on these units which are in my price range.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
to mess with Garage Band. It's ok, I think the problem is Garage Band. I don't feel like I have much control over the levels.

oh man, dont expect it to get any better with Logic then, I hate mixing with it ;)

Have you looked at Avid audio interfaces? they all come bundled with Pro Tools 9 (the industry standard DAW). So you get a great interface and the leading program for free, instead of buying an interface AND paying for the program. Recording bands is a far better experience with PT IMO. Logic, to me, is much better at Synth stuff and electronic music.

If you are defiant that you want Logic, consider Logic Express. its far cheaper and just as capable. it doesn't include a fancy 40gb sample library or surround mixing, but for a band it will be perfectly capable. I really wouldn't want to waste £400 on Logic.

PS, out of them three interfaces I' buy the Focusrite.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
I don't think I saw a "mastering room" on garage band? I'm use to recording on my Roland VS-2000 CD which is pretty good. The sliders are nice to have and the volumes are good but it doesn't have enough control per channel. If I use 1effect, the bus the effect is on shares it with the other channel. So I basically only use reverb and a bit of echo. The mix sounds ok but it leaves me wanting more.

So Logic sucks? (In your opinion) I don't know, I've seen the pro tools work desk top and
the logic desk top and to me the logic one looks cleaner and more organized than pro tools. I know everyone uses pro tools but I'm not sure how the learning curve is on it? For that matter, I'm not sure how the learning curve is on logic either. But I hear its not bad.
I just want as close to cd quality recordings at home.

That being said, you think the focusrite unit is the best of the 3?

The rest of you guys, feel free to jump in on this talk plz. I need the opinions.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think I saw a "mastering room" on garage band? I'm use to recording on my Roland VS-2000 CD which is pretty good. The sliders are nice to have and the volumes are good but it doesn't have enough control per channel. If I use 1effect, the bus the effect is on shares it with the other channel. So I basically only use reverb and a bit of echo. The mix sounds ok but it leaves me wanting more.
I dont understand why you are telling me this?

So Logic sucks? (In your opinion) I don't know, I've seen the pro tools work desk top and
the logic desk top and to me the logic one looks cleaner and more organized than pro tools.

I wont go into why unless you want me to, but I use Logic and Pro Tools regularly. Logic really gets on my nerves. Its of course my opinion, but its an opinion based on solid experience with the DAW. Unfortunately as part of my education I am forced to use it.

Logic does not suck, but i dont like it. Its a great step up from GB. Its a perfectly capable DAW.

Now I'm sorry to say this, but come on, do you really think this:

attachment.php

looks "cleaner" than this?:

pt8.jpg

i dont see it. Pro Tools has two main windows which cover everything. logic has 9 main sections. which can either be cramped onto 1 screen or split out individually.

I know everyone uses pro tools but I'm not sure how the learning curve is on it? For that matter, I'm not sure how the learning curve is on logic either. But I hear its not bad.
I just want as close to cd quality recordings at home.

These are both alot more complicated than Garageband, so the learning curve on either is steep. Of course, for me Logic was steeper, but thats cause I started on Pro Tools. they both work differently.

That being said, you think the focusrite unit is the best of the 3?

Im a sucker for British engineering. haha. Focusrite mic pres are great.

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 15.48.13.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
Isn't being able to split it into different windows better than just using 2? I know that for people its either ProTools or Logic, cant be a compromise. Its like asking hardcore Ford drivers and Chevy guys for their opinions lol

Again, the first thing you quoted me on was me explaining what im working with now. Its pretty limited. Im trying to make the jump to computer recording. I know the top players in that field are ProTools and Logic (from what ive heard).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't being able to split it into different windows better than just using 2? I know that for people its either ProTools or Logic, cant be a compromise. Its like asking hardcore Ford drivers and Chevy guys for their opinions lol

Again, the first thing you quoted me on was me explaining what im working with now. Its pretty limited. Im trying to make the jump to computer recording. I know the top players in that field are ProTools and Logic (from what ive heard).

lol, it depends what you mean by a top player. plenty of professional producers use Cubase and Reason. Its all up to you what you use.

about the windows thing... would you rather have two monitors, or 9?

As I said, I use both. I actually use Logic more, due to hardware limitations with PT. i still try to mix and master in PT when i can.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i7 512gb
What kind of hardware limitations with ProTools are you talking about? Can you give me an example?

I need to keep reading reviews on Logic and PT. Ive read a few negative reviews about Logic that are making me think twice! :( just when I thought I had found the DAW I was gonna use...

Also, the guitar center guy told me he prefers PT cause "everyone" uses it.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of hardware limitations with ProTools are you talking about? Can you give me an example?

I have Pro Tools LE 8. (The old version.) This version requires your interface to be plugged in to run the software. I dont always have my interface with me. With Pro Tools 9, the current version, this isnt the case, everything is native.

Also, the guitar center guy told me he prefers PT cause "everyone" uses it.

That reasoning is stupid. Why dont you find somewhere where you can use both the programs, then make your mind up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.