Switched Harddrives to new Mac now Windows Bootcamp is barely usable! Help!

Reaction score
Greetings:

My 15" Mac was recently ruined and I bought a 13" Macbook Pro to replace it. My Harddrive was still good so I switched it over since I had all of my files, it was already bootcamped and everything worked great. Upon switching to the new Macbook Pro, I'm in a world of trouble.

Besides that annoying red light that has been causing people issues in the audio jack for years popping up again, I'm missing like 5 or 6 drivers and I can't get on the internet because network driver is missing, and a bunch of others. So I'm just in a big mess and I can't figure out how to get running again since my network and ethernet isn't letting me online. I do have the ability to tether from my phone, but would rather have an answer before I go running around the net.

The only thing I can think of is that switching computers even with the same harddrive means that this computer needs to do the drivers now. But is there an easy way or do I need to guess for all 6 drivers? Also I can't right click either. So any help would be great. This seems to be a more unique problem and was not able to find really any help on it. Thanks again.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Greetings:

My 15" Mac was recently ruined and I bought a 13" Macbook Pro to replace it. My Harddrive was still good so I switched it over since I had all of my files, it was already bootcamped and everything worked great. Upon switching to the new Macbook Pro, I'm in a world of trouble.

Besides that annoying red light that has been causing people issues in the audio jack for years popping up again, I'm missing like 5 or 6 drivers and I can't get on the internet because network driver is missing, and a bunch of others. So I'm just in a big mess and I can't figure out how to get running again since my network and ethernet isn't letting me online. I do have the ability to tether from my phone, but would rather have an answer before I go running around the net.

The only thing I can think of is that switching computers even with the same harddrive means that this computer needs to do the drivers now. But is there an easy way or do I need to guess for all 6 drivers? Also I can't right click either. So any help would be great. This seems to be a more unique problem and was not able to find really any help on it. Thanks again.

May need to do a reinstall of the OS. You should be able to do that without losing all of your files.
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Reinstalling Mac OS X

OP
T
Reaction score
I was thinking I might have to back everything up and wipe it clean and reinstall. My only concern is that I no longer have the disk for Windows. I did buy it, it isn't stolen or ripped or anything. But I can't find it anymore and really don't want to have to go buy another Window's Vista again just to reinstall everything. Let me know if you or anyone else might have any other thoughts. Thanks again for taking the time to look into this for me.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking I might have to back everything up and wipe it clean and reinstall. My only concern is that I no longer have the disk for Windows. I did buy it, it isn't stolen or ripped or anything. But I can't find it anymore and really don't want to have to go buy another Window's Vista again just to reinstall everything. Let me know if you or anyone else might have any other thoughts. Thanks again for taking the time to look into this for me.

I don't use Boot Camp, but I think if you choose custom reinstall you won't mess up your Windows partition.
Maybe one of the other guys can weigh in if I'm off base here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this the Windows side where the drivers are missing or the OSX side?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this the Windows side where the drivers are missing or the OSX side?

Good point!
I was assuming the OSX side was where the OP was having issues. May have been totally off base.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it's OSX it's because the OSX that comes with most Macs is just for that exact model and Specked Mac, if it's Windows we can probably help him.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry, it is the Windows side that I'm having all of the trouble with. Mac side is working great. I'm using Bootcamp 3.2. Windows side can't double click, getting red light in headphone jack, missing like 6 different drivers including internet to get the drivers, but I can get internet tethered with my phone so I can get around that. But yeah issue is getting the windows side to work again. OSX Lion side working great.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, it is the Windows side that I'm having all of the trouble with. Mac side is working great. I'm using Bootcamp 3.2. Windows side can't double click, getting red light in headphone jack, missing like 6 different drivers including internet to get the drivers, but I can get internet tethered with my phone so I can get around that. But yeah issue is getting the windows side to work again. OSX Lion side working great.

Then I can't help, so I will leave you to dtravis7 and watch from the side lines. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Run the bootcamp assistant again and you'll prompted to download a driver package.

Once this is downloaded cancel out of the bootcamp assistant.

Copy the download onto a USB stick or CD then boot Windows, drop the CD or USB in and install the drivers using the setup.exe on the usb/cd

OP
T
Reaction score
Ahhhcccckkkk I thought that was going to work! I guess it did but it says that it is only for Window's 7. I'm using Windows Vista. Is there another way to download that same type of thing for Windows Vista? Thank you so much for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the MBP you've bought is a brand new model . . . they only officially support Windows 7 I'm afraid.

You could try installing the Windows drivers from an original Snow Leopard disc but it's going to be a bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.