64 0r 32 Bit Windows 7???

Reaction score
I am going to be buying Windows 7 and run it of VMWare on my MBP, So my question is should I buy the 64 or 32 bit Windows 7.

My Specs are 15 inch MacBook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, with 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB Graphics.

Thanks!

Reaction score
with those specs its not going to matter that much. the primary difference is how much RAM you can access. 32 bit windows can access up to 3 GB of RAM. Given that you only have 4, and in a virtual machine environment you will allocate RAM between OSX and Windows usage, you are unlikely to allocate more than 3 GB to Windows while OSX is still running. Hence, 64 bit would only help you if you were to increase your MBP RAM AND you were to allocate more than 3 GB to windows.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with Sammy, but I'll go one further - if you purchase the retail version of Windows 7, it will come with both. So, if you change hardware, you can go with x64 if you so choose. But in a VM, x64 is probably not worth the bother.

OP
G
Reaction score
Agreed with Sammy, but I'll go one further - if you purchase the retail version of Windows 7, it will come with both. So, if you change hardware, you can go with x64 if you so choose. But in a VM, x64 is probably not worth the bother.

Thanks for the info! but I would be buying windows 7 through an online system so I would have to select one or the other,

I have another question, Could I download a legit copy of windows onto a USB drive and then install it from the USB drive on to the VM? (that way I don't have to pay to ship the Disks)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the info! but I would be buying windows 7 through an online system so I would have to select one or the other,

I have another question, Could I download a legit copy of windows onto a USB drive and then install it from the USB drive on to the VM? (that way I don't have to pay to ship the Disks)

Yes. Just a cautionary note - if you're buying online directly from Microsoft, I have read anecdotal stories that it comes in a .exe form that allows you to create the ISO. That means, if you're trying to run it on a Mac, you're going to have issues since OS X won't run a Windows executable. You could always do it from a PC if you have access to one, but probably a good thing to keep in mind.

OP
G
Reaction score
Wow, Thanks for that because it is through microsoft. but if i download it onto a USB drive from a Windows computer then i take the USB onto my MBP and load it through VMWare i should be fine?

Reaction score
That should work so long as what you take over is a .ISO file not a .exe file.

cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
That should work so long as what you take over is a .ISO file not a .exe file.

cheers

Is there a way to download it as a .exe file and then convert it to a .ISO file?

this would be done on a windows computer, or if it is possible can you download and .exe file on a mac and then convert it to an .ISO file on a MAC?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
.exe and .iso are completely different things.

an ISO is a disk image. similar formats include .dmg, .toast, .bin/cue

an .exe is an executable file. You cant run this on a Mac. (I know there are ways, but lets keep this simple.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is there a way to download it as a .exe file and then convert it to a .ISO file?

Yes. Just a cautionary note - if you're buying online directly from Microsoft, I have read anecdotal stories that it comes in a .exe form that allows you to create the ISO. That means, if you're trying to run it on a Mac, you're going to have issues since OS X won't run a Windows executable. You could always do it from a PC if you have access to one, but probably a good thing to keep in mind.
cwa107's one step ahead of you. ;)

Although I don't doubt cwa's note, I do know that they sometimes distribute ISOs. For instance, the versions of Windows that come through the DreamSpark program are ISOs (or at least used to be). This would be something worth checking before you actually begin the download.

OP
G
Reaction score
But even if I load the Windows 7 file from the VMWare does it matter if it is .ISO or.exe? because the VMWare would be loading and reading it not the Mac its self

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, VMWare will need the ISO. VMWare will not be able to read the executable but should have no problem with the ISO.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok!, I think i have it all figured out, now would it be safe to say that if one program from this website is all in .exe that all programs are in .exe or is Windows 7 the only one in .exe format?

This way i can download something else, see if it is in .exe or .ISO, then depending on what it is do or don't download windows seven.

Also if I get it in a disk form it will work no matter what right? no need to worry about .exe or .ISO format?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit of info... When purchasing direct from the MS on line store, the download will be an *.exe file just as cwa107 alluded to. However, MS will also mail a DVD set to you as part of the purchase. The activation code (product id) is sent along with the download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

this would be done on a windows computer, or if it is possible can you download and .exe file on a mac and then convert it to an .ISO file on a MAC?

i have sort of the same questions because using a jtag you have to download files that only work on a pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested buy a retail copy, suggest Ultimate, that comers with two discs, one 32 bit and one 64 bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.