iMac won't stay connected to wireless

Reaction score
I have an iMac 8,1 that is having a particularly frustrating issue.

It connects to our wireless network just fine, lasts about 2 or 3 webpages, then will lose connection, forcing me to turn the wireless off and back on before it works again. repeat, repeat, repeat, etc...

Our other devices (2 macbook pros, pc, and 3 iphones) all work just fine with no problems. The computer is in the same room as the router, so signal strength is not an issue.

When I open network diagnostics, I have a green light on everything except internet and server, which are both yellow. Then when I run it, the wifi settings light flashes red, then back to green, and the internet and server then go from yellow to red.

no questionable sites have been visited with this computer, so it shouldn't be any sort of virus or malware. i've looked around and can't find any solutions online, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Is the router set on auto channel ?
If so try 1 or 11 and see if it stays connected.

OP
M
Reaction score
it was already set to 11. i switched it over to 1 and got the same problem. it's a netgear cg814gcmr if that helps any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is IPv4 configured and have you tried DHCP ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had the same problem for ages with my previous laptop (Windows) and my ISP's webpage said this could be caused by the wifi box's proximity to other digital and electrical appliances. I resolved it by moving the wifi box away from the digital phone base station. Fine ever since, including my new MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem for ages with my previous laptop (Windows) and my ISP's webpage said this could be caused by the wifi box's proximity to other digital and electrical appliances. I resolved it by moving the wifi box away from the digital phone base station. Fine ever since, including my new MBP.

You may want to look at DECT 6.0 for your next cordless phone they operate in a band where nothing else resides I did this a couple of years ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I have since moved, and just now got Internet installed. We now have a Motorola SBG941, and upon starting up my computer, I was able to browse for about 3 minutes until losing all internet access. I am still connected to the ISP, but have yellow/red lights on the internet and server.

This has nothing to do with range, router placement, outside electrical devices, or anything else that can externally affect my signal. I'm now pretty certain that this issue revolves around the wireless adapter in my computer. Any help would be more appreciated than you've ever been appreciated before. Seriously. I'll mail you a cake or something.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just another quick update: I just turned the wifi on my computer off and plugged straight into the router. The same thing is still happening. Network, ip address, ISP, but no Internet or server. Boo.

(also, we have 6 devices (both apple and pc) that all connect fine and haven't had any problems. Also also, my computer is the only device connected right now, so I know the network isn't being overloaded)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Check your network settings (DHCP, DNS). It's sounding more like a protocol issue or a router configuration. Login to your router and release all dhcp clients.

OP
M
Reaction score
I released all clients, rebooted my computer, and was able to open a web page! Then, when I tried to open a second, it reverted back to its non-working ways. Then I opened up my router configuration and there was a new DHCP client.

OP
M
Reaction score
My life is in a downward spiral. I'm on my third OS of the day (I've downgraded from lion to snow leopard to leopard), and it's getting worse. Ethernet now works, but I can't even access the router via wireless. I tried a speed test, and it went from 100k slowly down to 0. I formatted to factory settings. My MacBook works fine. This iMac is trying to jump out of the window and I may not stop it. Has anyone encountered this before?

Reaction score
markbark--did you get the prob resolved

Hi. I was searching for help on my connectivity problem, and I came across these threads. Were you ever able to stay connected to the internet?

I hope so, because I'm having similar problems, and it's driving me nuts!!

Reaction score
Same

I'm having the same issue - mid 2011 imac, happened with Snow Leopard, Lion, and now Mt. Lion seems to be the worst. I never worried about it because I was so close to the router and I've never had the ethernet issues, only wifi. Now I'm not so close to the router and it's driving me crazy resetting wifi every three minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
What kind of stuff do you have around your router? Have you tried different channels on your router? can you use 5Mhz on your router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if it's an imac, what kind of stuff is around your imac? do you have concrete walls? are you getting a connection on anything else in the vicinity of the imac?

Reaction score
same issues

I've had this issue OF AND ON ever since I've had my IMAC. When it first happened, if I was watching a MOVIE it'd stay connected, I used to leave a movie on in the background just so I could surf the web, after awhile, with reading websites and making new connections and what not I FINALLY had DECENT connection.. probably 80% connection.. Well now, it's back to doing it again.. WILL NOT stay connected to the internet.. My iphone stays connected all the time, apple tv all the time.. IT'S JUST THIS IMAC.. IS THERE A SOLUTION TO THIS????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, I guess the same problem is still happening two years later! ;)

Have you tried a web search on iMac won't stay connected to wireless and maybe add some specifics or details that I didn't see that you mentioned, i.e.: what you're using and equipment etc.

And maybe try Apple's kb article:
Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.