Just a Simple Question

Reaction score
If I were to purchase a legit copy of windows seven, download a virtual machine, use the windows seven to run off the virtual machine. Then say for some reason i don't like the virtual machine and want to bootcamp my MBP.

Would the same copy of Windows Seven work If i have already used it to run on the virtual machine.

I guess what I am asking is can I use the same copy of windows seven (Legit Copy) for a Virtual Machine and Bootcamp if I don't like the VM?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
You have it backwards. You would install Windows 7 in Boot Camp FIRST, then install your virtual machine software (Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox). Then, you would ask your virtual machine software to create a virtual machine from your Boot Camp installation. With that, you can either run Win7 in a virtual machine under OSX or reboot into Win7. Only one copy of Windows needed.

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
You have it backwards. You would install Windows 7 in Boot Camp FIRST, then install your virtual machine software (Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox). Then, you would ask your virtual machine software to create a virtual machine from your Boot Camp installation. With that, you can either run Win7 in a virtual machine under OSX or reboot into Win7. Only one copy of Windows needed.

Cheers

Why would I install it in Bootcamp first? what I mean is get the trial version of VMWare and install it on my MBP then run windows seven in the VMWare. Then if for some reason I want to bootcamp my MBP, ca I use the same copy of Windows 7.

I want to avoid boot camping my MBP unless I have to because it seems like more people have problems with it than are successful with it.

Reaction score
Why would I install it in Bootcamp first? what I mean is get the trial version of VMWare and install it on my MBP then run windows seven in the VMWare. Then if for some reason I want to bootcamp my MBP, ca I use the same copy of Windows 7.

I want to avoid boot camping my MBP unless I have to because it seems like more people have problems with it than are successful with it.

Never had any problems with Bootcamp in 4 years!

What sort of problems are you hearing about?

OP
G
Reaction score

Cheers

Never had any problems with Bootcamp in 4 years!

What sort of problems are you hearing about?

Idk now that I think about it, there are not alot. Just the ones that get posted on the forums every now and again.

So if i try a VM first and then decide i want to bootcamp my MBP later I can use the same copy of Windows 7?

Reaction score
No you can't unless you delete the VM. That's the point. You can use the same version of Windows to create a BC partition and then a VM off of it, but not the other way around. I read your OP to mean that you wanted the flexibility to run Windows both ways on the same machine. The BC-first, VM-second approach is the only way to do that.

If all you want is to run it one way, then sure, do the VM and see how you like it. I would make the call before you activate Windows (that will just be simpler); if you don't like the VM, then delete the virtual machine and go ahead with the BC install.

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
No you can't unless you delete the VM. That's the point. You can use the same version of Windows to create a BC partition and then a VM off of it, but not the other way around. I read your OP to mean that you wanted the flexibility to run Windows both ways on the same machine. The BC-first, VM-second approach is the only way to do that.

If all you want is to run it one way, then sure, do the VM and see how you like it. I would make the call before you activate Windows (that will just be simpler); if you don't like the VM, then delete the virtual machine and go ahead with the BC install.

Cheers

Yes, I want to run them at separate times, First tryout the VM, then if I don't like it I would delete the VM and bootcamp my MBP,

from the way I read your post If I do it that way I can use the same copy of Windows?

Reaction score
Yes. Just make the choice before activating your copy of Win7 in the VM (you have 30 days to activate)

OP
G
Reaction score
ohh so if I activate Windows 7 in the VM then decide I don't want to use a VM and bootcamp my MBP then I would have to get a new Copy of Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No you can switch your activation - Windows will ask you if detects that the key is being used with completely different hardware (if I remember correctly).

OP
G
Reaction score
No you can switch your activation - Windows will ask you if detects that the key is being used with completely different hardware (if I remember correctly).

Great thanks!

I am new to this stuff and I want to make sure I am not purchasing unneeded things because I didn't do research

Thank you for dealing with me elementary questions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.