Booting from a windows HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Hi, I got my mac 2 months ago (LOVE IT!!) but have been thinking about using bootcamp so I can play windows games on my mac. But I don't really fancy going out and paying a £80 or so for a copy windows 7.
Before I got my mac I had a Dell laptop running windows Vista. The screen stopped working and took it to a local computer repairs shop and they said that it would be expensive to fix so just as well buy a new PC (hence how I ended up with my mac) anyway, I kept the laptop and as far as im aware - the HDD is fully functional. Is it at all possible to put the laptops HDD in an external case and then somehow selecting it to boot off of that?

I haven't got the windows install disks, so can't install windows on my mac using bootcamp... don't really know how to move forward.
Any help much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows, (any version) will not boot from an external drive. It's a built in copy protection of the OS by Microsoft.

Also, since your Mac is new only Windows 7 is compatible. There are no drivers for XP or Vista. If you do buy a copy of Windows make sure it's a full copy of Windows 7.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Brilliant thanks. I had no idea! I guess I'll be buying windows 7 then :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.