• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Finally, a political party I would join

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I've always thought PowerPoint is an ugly terrible way to convey info and ideas, and it is wasting huge amounts of time in both the private and corporate sector. If we could use better, more streamlines methods to get the point across, all that spare time and money could be used to cure the world's ills or go into space. ;)

The political party that wants to ban PowerPoint

A group of people in Switzerland are trying to outlaw the world's favourite presentation software

The political party that wants to ban PowerPoint | Technology | The Guardian

Swiss political party APP wants to ban Powerpoint | Mail Online

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
A hammer is a terrible way to put in a screw.

That being said - I think people are using presentation tools poorly - hence many people's hatred of it. You cannot write a novel on your presentation - then read it back to the audience.

You want slides done right - look at Apple Announcements - the slides are simple with pretty much 1 topic to re-enforce the idea being talked about.
Presentation Zen: Advice for conference presenters: Be like Steve
"Keep It Visual"
Slides and other visuals should help you make your point easier to grasp quickly and retain for the audience. Don't get bogged down in nitty-gritty details on a slide -- we're lucky if our audience remembers two-three key ideas from our talk the next day. There's no point drowning them in superfluous details. Focus on what is most important. Remember, complex graphs, table, etc. usually work better in your takeaway documents.

But I agree - we should banish those who abuse tools.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've always thought PowerPoint is an ugly terrible way to convey info and ideas, and it is wasting huge amounts of time in both the private and corporate sector. If we could use better, more streamlines methods to get the point across, all that spare time and money could be used to cure the world's ills or go into space.

I don't agree. While some managers and others overdo the use of PowerPoint presentations, there definitely is a place for a good presentation.

Nowadays our youth (here in the US) for the most part are not very good at reading (and writing) but will respond to something visual. And that also includes young adults and even quite a few of the middle aged who make up the bulk of the working population.

I know that sounds like a poor excuse for the uneducated and we here in the US should do a better job of educating our youth. Unfortunately, we live in the age of everything multi-media. Schools, churches, corporations, what have you, are using PowerPoint presentations and whatever else they can to keep their audiences alive and interested.

Yes, it's probably being abused at all levels but let's not throw the baby out along with the bath water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well maybe, just maybe, the no powerpoint mob might top that 317 votes!

I want to join the 'anti no powerpoint mob'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'll be against the people who are at odds with the people who are decrying whatever everyone else is for, all the while being diametrically opposed to any of the aforementioned positions. However, that is only if the issue is mainstream enough to attract a sufficiently legitimate fringe group of opposition, themselves worthy of being disagreed with by credible enough people worthy being opposing themselves. I refuse to stand idly by while that goes unchallenged!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
As much as I hate using PowerPoint, this party seems to be fighting against visual learning aids rather than PowerPoint itself and just using poorly made presentations as an excuse...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.