Ultra Compact Mini USB Wifi Dongle Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Anybody have any experience with this?

Amazon.com: Ultra Compact Mini USB 2.0 Wireless N 802.11n/g WiFi Newtork Dongle Adapter: Electronics

Bought this for my son's emac, which doesn't have an airport extreme card. Lots of people said it worked, but I'm having issues. I'm getting a connection to my router, but for whatever reason webpages won't load.

Not getting an error, but it's just taking an ungodly amount of time to ping, even though the connection program says I have a 27mbps connection. Eventually, after sitting forever saying "connecting" it'll say waiting for "www.cnn.com" or whatever and it will never load. Firefox loaded the .ico in the url bar, but that's it. Same with safari.

Any suggestions? As witnessed from my posting, all the other computers in the house work fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm... the misspelling of "Network" as "Newtork" is kind of worrying on that particular unit. Looks like some kind of Chinese knock-off product, it really doesn't surprise me that you're having trouble with it.

My company bought a boat-load of these:

Amazon.com: Asus USB Adapter (USB-N10): Electronics

...and just for giggles, I installed one on my last MBP. It worked beautifully - in fact, in a number of ways, it had better range than my internal AirPort card. I would recommend returning that particular unit and going with a more established product. If not the ASUS card I linked to, perhaps consider something from these guys, who specialize in Mac wireless products:

Solar, WiFi and Power Solutions for Apple Products

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Yeah, I may do that if I can't get this one working today. Thanks alot for the linky, btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.