Importing webpage into dreamweaver from host

Reaction score
My hard drive recently died on my old computer. I had created and set up my site in GoLive, but unfortunately have lost everything. I've recently downloaded my website from the host to my desktop using ftp and want to import into Dreamweaver. I would like to know the simplest way to do this or if there is a way I could import everything directly into Dreamweaver from the online host by just entering the host address, etc. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
If you've downloaded all of your files and folders from the server onto your desktop, it's simply a matter of defining the site in Dreamweaver so that you can use that software to edit.

Advice, though -- move the web folder off of your desktop.

Also, GoLive is from a long time ago, so there may be some code that comes in a little "funky" when you bring it into Dreamweaver. Are you using CS5 or 5.5? Just be ready to do some editing.

Once you've got the file in a permanent location, open Dreamweaver. Pull down the Site menu, choose New Site. A window will pop up asking you to name and define the location of the local site: insert a name for your site, then in the field below the name, click the little folder icon on the right side to locate the root folder of your web. Choose your main web folder. Click Save, and your file will then be pulled into Dreamweaver and able to be edited. You should see all of your folders and html pages in the Local Files inspector on the lower right side of your screen.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That helps. I'm running Dreamweaver CS3. One of the things I noticed is that GoLive's "components" have to be resaved as "Library" items and re-inserted into the webpages. Everything else seemed to be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Great. Glad it worked. I haven't worked on CS3 in a bit, and defining a site in CS3 and CS4 is different than 5 and 5.5. I wish I had known which version you were working on and I could have given you more specific instructions, but it sounds like you got it sorted out.

Yes, those components are now part of your Library. They work the same way, but they're organized differently. Just make sure that the links within your site to the Library elements are correct and upload the Library folder to the server, otherwise some of the references won't be recognized.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.