new iMac but really slow

Reaction score
hi i recently buy iMac

2.7 GHz intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

and its really slow whatever i wanna do browsing or working on PS or Lightroom its extremely slow if i wanna scroll down/ up www or when rotate or saving stuff even if i wanna jump to Mission Control. or from one safari window to other or safe stuff or open window with Ps always i got this spinning rainbow

I had Leopard now Lion but it doesn't help any at all.
It says that it does not have to be off to often its ok if its in sleeping mode that what i do.

Disk is to full coz i use external for all my work just software and music is here on iMac.
i normally go my Lightroom open and Ps and safari (quiet few windows with different tabs ) its my first Mac but I'm keep backing to my old pc to do my work :(

wanna know if its only my problem or its common?

thx for help

Nidi

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
hi i recently buy iMac

2.7 GHz intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

and its really slow whatever i wanna do browsing or working on PS or Lightroom its extremely slow if i wanna scroll down/ up www or when rotate or saving stuff even if i wanna jump to Mission Control. or from one safari window to other or safe stuff or open window with Ps always i got this spinning rainbow

I had Leopard now Lion but it doesn't help any at all.
It says that it does not have to be off to often its ok if its in sleeping mode that what i do.

Disk is to full coz i use external for all my work just software and music is here on iMac.
i normally go my Lightroom open and Ps and safari (quiet few windows with different tabs ) its my first Mac but I'm keep backing to my old pc to do my work :(

wanna know if its only my problem or its common?

thx for help

Nidi
No, it isn't common.

FWIW if you are going to be running a lot of programs simultaneously (Especially Photoshop) 4GB of RAM is probably not enough and you will end up doing a lot of additional access of the HD (which will slow things down). RAM is cheap; you should consider adding at least another 4GB.

You may have other issues (especially if you have any AV or 3rd party Utilities) installed and running. Give us more specifics and we can let you know if that is a potential also.

M

MacInWin

And don't forget that the red X does NOT shut down applications, just hides them. You have to close them to close them. You may have too many things running in the background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
You said your disk is too full, but I'm assuming you meant your disk was not too full because you use an external hard drive. If your disk is too full that can cause your computer to not run to it's full capability. I am told that the OS likes to have a lot of free space.

If you look at the tool bar, (Is that the Mac term?) you will see a little light on underneath the program symbol. If the light is on you know that the program is not really closed but just minimized for lack of a better term. To test just open a program then look beneath the program symbol and compare to another program you will see what I mean. I just right click the touch pad and you can then quit the program completely which will release the memory.

This may help as well.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.