Help recovering disk space-VirtualBox

Reaction score
Im running an Ubuntu VM with Virtualbox inside Lion...My vm only had a couple of gigs of space left, and I need to process a 10gb file...I put the file into my shared folder on the host and edited the file in the vm...When I was done, I deleted the old files from the shared folder...Strangely they didn't go to OSX trash nor the Ubuntu trash...

Later on I tried to run Time Machine and it said I didn't have enough space...After checking things out, the used portion of my disk had swelled by 35gb! I noticed the shared folder reported 35.1 gb in 0 files....35gb of "trash" files were hidden in the shared folder...I was able to see them in OSX and in Ubuntu, but I was only able to delete them in OSX....

Now the folder says its has 250k with 0 files...But Istatpro still shows me having the extra 35gb of space being used...I can't find the files anywhere in finder (hidden files visible) so Im wondering why/where there is still 35gb of space being used up????

Can anyone help get my disk space back?

OP
H
Reaction score
I should add: Istat says Ive used 275gb, Disk utility says the same, but finder>info says Ive only used 206gb.....Time machine just backed up 204gb....Now Im really confused

Reaction score
Same problem

I just moved my home directory to my secondary HD from my SSD and there is still space being taken up by something. I stumbled upon this thread and can only think it is Virtualbox related also. Suggestions?

OP
H
Reaction score
My problem sort of solved itself....I think it was related to Time Machine and how it stores snapshots on the disk....

I entered TM to see if it was storing all of the trash files....I only browsed folders and didnt do anything else...After i exited TM everythig went back to normal....Weird....Its now showing only 206gb used....I guess TM needed to filter out some fluff.... who knows?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.