Screen sharing from XP to Lion

Reaction score
I am trying to share the screen of my windows XP laptop with my iMac running Lion.

I work from home using a Windows laptop and am fed up of struggling with its small screen when my nice big iMac screen is sitting right behind it so i am wondering how to get the laptop screen onto the iMac.

WinVNC is running on the laptop and i have tried connecting to this through finder's connect to server option using vnc://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx A small window pops up with the screen sharing icon saying connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Eventually this times out saying Connection failed to "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect. Also make sure your network connection is working properly.

I have also installed Remote Desktop Connection on my iMac, again i try connecting with the IP address and get The Mac cannot connect to the windows based computer. This problem can occur if:
• The Windows-based computer is not set up to accept remote connections.
• The Windows-based computer is not turned on.
• The Mac, or the Windows-based computer is experiencing network problems.
Try connecting to the Windows-based computer again, or contact your administrator.

To confuse matters the laptop is connected to my work VPN so obviously has 2 IP addresses, one for my local network and one for the VPN. In both the above attempts i have tried both IP addresses.

One more thing, the iMac is not able to ping the laptop on either IP

Hope someone can help, preferably i would like to get it working with the built in screen sharing rather than using windows remote desktop.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.