PDA

View Full Version : Important News Regarding our Community Leader, Schweb

cwa107
08-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Posted on behalf of the staff at Mac-Forums.com...

Dear Mac-Forums community,

It is with great sadness that we have to share this terrible news with you:

Schweb, our friend and community leader, passed away last Thursday due to a sudden brain hemorrhage. This sudden and unexpected loss comes as a great shock to us all.

Schweb has run Mac-Forums since 2002 with great wisdom and vision. During the exponential community growth in this time, countless numbers of you will have talked with Schweb and knew him as one of the nicest, most genuine people we could have ever hoped to have the pleasure of meeting – online and offline.

We are all still coming to terms with this terrible loss, so we ask for your patience and understanding. If you would like to send your condolences, please send a message to a member of the staff and we will forward it to his immediate family.

In lieu of flowers or collecting donations, the family has asked that anyone wishing to make charitable donations in Bryan's memory do so through Trinity Cathedral, the Cleveland Museum of Art or The West Shore Chorale.

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (http://trinitycleveland.org/about/support-trinity/)
giving to the museum - The Cleveland Museum of Art (http://www.clevelandart.org/support/giving%20to%20the%20museum.aspx)
The West Shore Chorale - Support the Chorale (http://westshorechorale.org/site/donate)

Schweb was a true leader and a great friend. We are heartbroken.

dtravis7
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I am still having issues accepting this but will with time i guess. I started to chat with Schweb the first 2 months after joining Mac Forums and really enjoyed talking to him. He was a great person and a very intelligent indivudal. Learned a lot from him.

Will miss you Schweb!

To me Mac Forums IS Schweb. He made it what is is today. I know Mac Forums will go on, but I will forever miss Schweb on the Forums.

pigoo3
08-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Certainly terrible terrible shocking news!!!

I will definitely definitely miss Schweb's leadership & friendship at Mac-Forums!!

- Nick

cwa107
08-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Schweb was perhaps one of the most brilliant, inspirational and natural leaders I have ever met, and I know he cared deeply for this community and touched a lot of people. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. As one of the two remaining admins here, I hope to live up to his example and carry on as he would have expected us to.

TattooedMac
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
OMG !!!!!

Hard to believe and does come as a shock, bc to me he was in parts family.
Condolences to Family, friends and the Mac community

RIP man from all those Down Under

Maybe a special Dedication Thread or something ??

vansmith
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
I've known him only a short time as a staff member and even in this short time, he made me feel welcome. He was always polite, easy to get along with and has done a great job at making this a pleasant and vibrant community for us all. His efforts and personality around here will surely be missed.

Moss
08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll miss you, friend.

chscag
08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
A definite shock to all of us here. I would personally ask that you would keep Bryan's family in your prayers as they go through this time of mourning.

I would also ask that you give your full support to the other staff members as we try to live up to the high standards that Bryan set for these forums and for each of us.

robduckyworth
08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh my good god. This is so bloody sad. He was an absolute legend. Goodbye, my friend.

harryb2448
08-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh what a tragedy. Whilst not always agreeing with schweb admired his enthusiasm and dedication to the forums.

XJ-linux
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
RIP Schweb. I'll miss our spirited debates. Kindest thoughts to your family. :(

RavingMac
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Don't know what to say, other to say shocked and will miss him.

My condolences to Bryan's family.

BrianLachoreVPI
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
OMG!!! I am absolutely stunned!! Literally - electricity just shot down my arm!! Such incredibly sad sad news. Way way way way way too young!!! I am simply and completely floored. There are no sufficient words.

BrianLachoreVPI
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't even want to read or comment on anymore threads...doesn't feel right. Maybe tomorrow. Incredibly sad.

cwa107
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't even want to read or comment on anymore threads...doesn't feel right. Maybe tomorrow. Incredibly sad.

I think a lot of us feel that way. The thing is, Schweb was incredibly passionate about this forum and social media in general. I think the last think he would have wanted is for people not to enjoy the forum.

Slydude
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't know what to say really. Haven't known him that long but feel like I have lost a good friend.

If you want to know what he meant to this forum think about this: Over the weekend I was waiting for him to sign in to IRC to ask him a question about configuring a piece of software. He had mentioned the software while answering question from another member.

Dysfunction
08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm really at a complete loss. This is horrible news, and completely shocking. My thoughts are with his loved ones and family.

Doug b
08-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Shocked, extremely sad and without the ability to express much else right now. He and I had our differences for sure, but the feeling of his absence, especially like this.. is just seriously crazy to me.

I'll miss you dude.

McYukon
08-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Goodbye, see-you in the sky someday soon dude…

Acrilyc
08-23-2011, 12:18 AM
This is incredibly sad, and I'm having a hard time believing it, but, goodbye friend.

Aptmunich
08-23-2011, 02:33 AM
This has been such a shock. Having worked closely with schweb here for quite a few years now, I really admire how well he managed things here, all while having a successful career and other interests too.

Truly an inspiration, such a tragedy.

LongTimeMakUser
08-23-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, especially since I just came onto this forum.

Actually I was on this forum a while back but under a different name.. Could you show us some of the threads he posted on?

Yikes, brain problems are a big deal. My condolescences to his family & his friends.
Like it's said, the good die young. Why can't the bad die young instead? :(
That's tragic.

Take care everyone. Like this forum. Helpful folks here.

gordy3
08-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Not been here long, sorry to hear he bad news. RIP m8. :(

Printerman
08-23-2011, 10:14 AM
RIP Bryan.

I made this for people to use on the site or anywhere else. Please, if anyone with better photoshop skills can make something more professional, please do as I’m not very good with PSE

Schweb in memory.jpg (http://cl.ly/060k0o3p3q2L05250R1Y)

baggss
08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow....just wow.......

Raz0rEdge
08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
This is incredibly sad and totally unexpected! Condolences to Bryan and his family!

firesidedog
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Bryan, may you walk hand in hand with God.

toMACsh
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Very tragic, indeed.

mtbinva
08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Very tragic indeed. He will be missed.

RIP Schweb.

I guess God now has someone to turn to for anything Mac. ;)

dekan
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Don't even know what to say. Never really knew him, but it seemed like he was everywhere in this forum with knowledge and help and I enjoyed reading what he wrote. Hard to believe I won't see him posting here anymore...

RIP!

iLove
08-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Life is fragile, we all take it for granted , RIP

macuser1232
08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
God bless you Schweb. Even though i havent really talked to you before, from what ive heard you are a wonderful person. I thank you for starting this forum for all of us mac users to enjoy. These forums really help my life and everyone else's lives. R.I.P.
P.S. Macs rock!

iggibar
08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Rest In Peace. You will be missed. My uncle randomly passed away from a "simple" brain tumor. This is like someone's twisting the knife in the wound. Never really healed.

EndlessMac
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
This is such sad and terrible news. This Mac forum will not be the same without him. My condolences to his family and anyone who knew him. I hope he rests in peace.

McBie
08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
This is very sad.
My condolences to his family and those who are close to him.

McBie

PatM
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I didn't know Bryan very well since I am new to this forum. But I can tell that he was very well liked and respected by many, many people on this forum as evidenced by these posts.

I want to give my condolences to his family and rest in the fact that he is in Gods hands now.

God Bless you Bryan!

Regards,

PatM

a.j.c.
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Omg! I have been so busy with work that I missed this thread..

And although I have only been a member for one year I understood how important Schweb is/was to this community..

My regrets go out to his family and the members here that knew him on a more personal level

Aqua
08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
RIP Schweb..

Warmest condolences and well wishes to all affected by his passing

Discerptor
08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I audibly gasped when I read this. Bryan's approach to life was incredibly well-founded, and he was one of the handful of people I only became more thoroughly impressed by and grew to like better after each interaction. I wish his family all the strength they need to get through this.

Feniks80
08-25-2011, 03:30 AM
I didn't have the opportunity to talk to Schweb, he seem like a very straight-up and genuine guy. My condolences to his family and close friends. :(

chas_m
08-25-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm clearly quite late to the news, but I wanted to pass on my appreciation for Schweb, everything he did for the board, and his patience with posters when they would inevitably put their foot in their mouths -- as I and others have certainly done.

Terrible news. He will be much missed here. My condolences to his family.

mrplow
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Only just seen this. Terribly sad news.

Clearly the man behind what I've always found to be the most welcoming and helpful community on the web.

My condolences to the family.

Ramimac1
08-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Holy Crap!! talk about one moment to the next..

Maybe we should have a way to memorialize him here on the the form. Like name the News bot after his user id.

chscag
08-25-2011, 07:27 PM
We've renamed "The Lounge" to "Schweb's Lounge" as a memorial to him.

technologist
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
This is awful. So sudden. He was everywhere here.

Postoak
08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
How sad! Schweb was the rock we all depended on here. God rest his soul and console his family.

Emrys
08-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear of our loss. I haven't really been an active member here for years, but I have been online friends with Schweb since way back when mac-forums was first created. He was my first moderator. I have been keeping up with him on Facebook and Google+, quite often actually. I was wondering why there wasn't a ton of posts on Google+.

I'm extremely saddened by this, Schweb was such an amazing person. I've never known anyone like him, and I'm sure I never will again.

I'll be thinking about you man :(

emrys

osxx
08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
RIP Schweb and my condolences to the family and sadly the forum is short a very knowledgeable person that will be missed.

ipadip
08-27-2011, 03:52 AM
New to this forum,and sad to know this bad news of passing away RIP Schweb...
Heard his great contribution to this forum and his kind,gentle,amazing..
God bless his family and I will miss him too...

milessthomas
08-27-2011, 04:52 AM
This was not what I was expecting when I logged in after a lengthy hiatus. Schweb was really one of the most helpful and interesting members of this community.

Such a terrible loss, he will be missed.

Nighthawk4
08-27-2011, 09:57 AM
What dreadful news. I offer my condolences to his family at this very sad time.

I think we owe it to him to continue this Forum as his legacy to us all.

Kevriano
08-28-2011, 02:50 AM
My thoughts are with all his family and friends, and in particular those of you who knew him personally.
R.I.P. Bryan, you will certainly be missed, and not just here.
I am truly shocked.

(Thanks to Tattooedmac for letting me know by email, as I haven't been around in a while).

MACyMouse
08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
WOW!!

My deepest sympathy and condolences go out to his family and friends. Seems so sudden. :(

beamon
08-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I appreciated his direct, no fooling around, answers as a new Mac user. Very distressing news.

louishen
08-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I seemed to have missed this news.

Very sad, a great loss to us all. My condolences go out to all who knew him.

Kash
08-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I may not have been around much lately, but this news shook me to the core. Bryan and I may not have always seen eye-to-eye, but it was his direction and vision that created this amazing community. Hiss passing is a great loss to us all.

May he rest in peace.

SammySlim
08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
How terribly sad - what he created here is practically unique among online computer forums in general. It's a terrible loss and my condolences to his family and friends... Rest in peace...

Lifeisabeach
09-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow. This is awful news, nothing short of tragic.

MacDude121
09-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Wow, only just discovered this. How truly sad, may Schweb rest in peace. :(

pendlewitch
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM
That's really sad news. Please pass on my condolences.

Eric559
09-13-2011, 03:15 AM
I've been gone for a while. Sad to see this. Only talked to Schweb a few times but it is always sad to hear about something passing.

Rest in peace Schweb.

MacLicious
09-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow, too busy this summer to be on the forum and come back and read this. I am shocked and saddened. This forum will never be the same. It has lost it's Leader. One who was always there to help someone out with his vast knowlege.
RIP Bryan 'Schweb', you are missed :( And my condolences to Bryan's family.

iWhat
09-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I passed along this thread to schweb's mother just last week, so that all of you could be heard by his family. She said all the comments were very uplifting and amazed by how he affected people.

I was a very close friend to schweb and visited him in Cleveland as I live less than two hours away from him. I actually visited him the last week he was with us, then a couple of days later I got a phone call about his state and the rest that followed that night. I will always be proud to call him my personal friend.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

dtravis7
09-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Not a problem my friend and thanks for showing this to his family. Take care!

cwa107
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for sharing it with her iWhat, and please wish her all of our best.

Slydude
09-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that for us.

auburnmk
09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
So sad to hear about this sudden event.. I'm too new to this forum to have known Schweb, but I feel for his family's loss nonetheless. Glad to know his mother knows how many lives he he touched in this and other communities.

I'm sure he's in a better place......Godspeed

clayneal
10-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I am so very sad to have come back after more then a year away to be greeted with this saddest of news..
I didn't have a great deal of contact with our leader but what I did have was always positive ( even when getting a "what for" from him).
This will never be the same place again.....

My heart goes out to his family and those of you that were able to call him friend.

iKitten
10-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I've been away from mac-forums for quite a while. I got my 'education' in Macs here and hearing that Schweb is gone is like finding out one of your impactful professors has passed. I didn't know him personally, but he did a great job keeping this place going and growing.

RIP

nbrowser
02-13-2012, 02:51 AM
I too have been away for quite some time, my late condolences to the family, I've had a few reply posts here with him and he's always been gracious and educational where he had to be, he will be missed, rest in peace man.

nbrowser

KoDorSean
03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Words can't express the emotions I felt when I opened this thread. RIP, you will be missed.

Ghostshadow
07-01-2012, 01:26 AM
My word. I feel like such a tool. I just found out about Schweb's passing. I don't know how I missed it. Either way, it's very sad news indeed.

Doug b
07-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Was just browsing the forums, and even though I've never heard Bryan's voice, I kind of "heard" it in my head just now and feelings of both happiness and sadness washed over me at the same time.

Just wanted to share that. Kind of ironic that Ghostshadow posted about his passing just yesterday. Maybe Bryan is lingering more than we know...

Doug

Magroglex
07-03-2012, 01:22 AM
I've just arrived at this forum, but even a casual glance at some of Schweb's forums announced him as astute and attentive.

I've suffered family losses and one really never recovers and my very deep heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family. Our lives are shattered and it's a struggle to get one foot in front of the other. The universe can be a cold, lonely place. I am so sorry.

Rod Sprague
10-12-2015, 02:12 AM
I regret to say that I did not know Brian at all. Despite being a member for some years I have only just become a paid subscriber in an attempt to start giving back a little to what has been a very valuable resource. I mourn the passing of an astute and dedicated man.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and those who knew him well. RIP Brian.

chas_m
10-12-2015, 02:49 AM
Just for any other new people who are drawn to this thread because of some new messages, Brian (Schweb) actually passed in August of 2011. He was and continues to be a big influence on the quality of the people who stick around here and how this forum is run, even if some of us didn't "know" him (virtually through the forum or in person). Nice to see that some folks continue to pay respects; this forum was lucky to have him.