MacBook Pro and Microtek Scanner Question

Reaction score
I recently bought a new MacBook Pro (10.6.8) but to date, haven't been able to find any software/driver to use for my scanner, including the Microtek site. I have a Microtek Scanmaker 3600 that still works perfectly. I have searched forums and online sites for software to use the scanner on the new laptop and hate to think I need to buy a new scanner when the 3600 works fine. I have an HP Deskjet 930C and was able to find the software/driver to use on the new laptop. Does anyone know where I can find the software/driver to get my scanner to work?

Thank you beforehand!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give VueScan a try. Should work as it's for OS X Lion.

OP
P
Reaction score
I finally had some spare time to look up and download VueScan. Plugged in my scanner, turned it on, opened VueScan and it just keeps telling me "No Scanner Detected". <SIGH> I tried several times, rebooting, with scanner on and off and still get the same message. Ports are fine and USB cord is also fine because I switch cord that I knew would work. <SIGH>

Any other ideas or any other scanning software that might let me use the Microtek? As I stated early, it's a great scanner, still works perfectly, but I just need software to run it. It's such a shame to have to purchase another scanner when the one you have works perfectly when it has software.

I forgot to mention that I also tried Image Capture with the scanner connected, and again, I get "No Scanner Detected. "

Thanks for any help.

Running Mac OS 10.6.8 on a new MacBookPro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If VueScan and Image Capture can't "see" the Microtek, I'm not sure you'll be able to get it to work with your MBP. You may be looking at purchasing another scanner if no one else has a suggestion that may work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Weird because VueScan says it supports the Scanmaker 3600. I would email the software designer and ask him the question. He has been very helpful to me in the past and I would be surprised if it is a software issue with VueScan.

OP
P
Reaction score
I sent an email to Mr. Hamrick at VueScan. He was very nice and after sending him some information, said

I think the problem is that Microtek doesn't have a TWAIN driver
for this scanner, so when VueScan tries to use the Image Capture
interface, it doesn't see this scanner.

If you try "Image Capture" (in the Applications folder), I think you'll
see that it doesn't work with this scanner either.

You might try contacting Microtek to see if they have a TWAIN driver
for this scanner for Mac OS X.

I emailed Microtek a few days ago and if I don't hear from therm, will send off another email, hoping they do have a TWAIN
driver unless someone here knows where I can get one.

Thanks!!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I emailed Microtek a few days ago and if I don't hear from therm, will send off another email, hoping they do have a TWAIN
driver unless someone here knows where I can get one.

I just searched their Twain driver data base and the latest one they have is for OS 9. Way way out of date I'm afraid. Unless you can find a generic Twain driver from somewhere else that will work, you may have to buy a new scanner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.