External HD not Readable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
I have a 1TB G-Raid Mini that a very nice friend gave me when he apparently moved on to something better :)Confused:?). Anyway, it has been working fine until last night when I left it connected overnight while I thought I was writing information to it. This morning I come to check on everything and it appears to be ejected because I can't see it when using Finder. Since I am new to both Macs and G-Raids, I just chalked it up to being some sort of automated ejection after the work was complete to save power or disk life or something. So I unplug it and re-connect it and get the message, "The disk you inserted cannot be read by this computer." Forgive the expression, but I am about to $h!t a brick! I cannot lose all of this information! Is there any kind of troubleshooting you can suggest?

Thank you so much for any help and advice!

Cheers,
Lefty

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a 1TB G-Raid Mini that a very nice friend gave me when he apparently moved on to something better :)Confused:?). Anyway, it has been working fine until last night when I left it connected overnight while I thought I was writing information to it. This morning I come to check on everything and it appears to be ejected because I can't see it when using Finder. Since I am new to both Macs and G-Raids, I just chalked it up to being some sort of automated ejection after the work was complete to save power or disk life or something. So I unplug it and re-connect it and get the message, "The disk you inserted cannot be read by this computer." Forgive the expression, but I am about to $h!t a brick! I cannot lose all of this information! Is there any kind of troubleshooting you can suggest?

Thank you so much for any help and advice!

Cheers,
Lefty
Do you have (or have access to) an external drive enclosure? If so, you can pull the drive and see if it is the drive or the RAID box.

OP
Lefty Loco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '10 MacBook Pro, 128GB iPhone 6, 160GB iPod Classic, 32GB iPad 4th Gen, AirPort Extreme, AppleTV
Do you have (or have access to) an external drive enclosure? If so, you can pull the drive and see if it is the drive or the RAID box.

I am so sorry, I didn't even know there was an answer to this post until this morning while I was editing my profile! I still have the G-Raid Mini sitting here on my desk as a paper weight. I ended up paying a "geek" to fix it, and it did work for a short time, but then I started having the same problems. Anyway, now I'm curious to try what you suggested (so long ago!), but I'm not too knowledgeable with these peripherals. Does the other external drive enclosure need to be the same as the G-Raid, or does it simply need to have certain connections to go between the HDD and my MacBook? Again, sorry for the ridiculously delayed response, and thanks for trying to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.