Wireless music streaming from mac?

Reaction score
Hey there.

I found this guide on the internet, using a PC and VLC to stream music being played on the PC as a webradio station.

Step 1. Install VLC on machine that is going to stream audio from desktop

Step 2. make sure you have "Stereo Mix" or similar recording device enabled.
This device basically "records" all desktop audio. So, whatever you hear on PC speaker goes here. Most of the time this is not enabled by default and sometimes it is not easy to find it so this page can help you: http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/05/28/n ... solutions/

Step 3. create desktop icon that will start desktop audio streaming with VLC.
VLC supports command line arguments which we will use. All this can be done through interface but that takes time and settings cannot be saved so... create file "StartAudioStream.vbs" on desktop with this content:
Code:
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.Run "C: \Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe dshow:// :dshow-vdev=none "":dshow-adev=Stereo Mix (SoundMAX Integrated"" :dshow-caching=200 :dshow-vdev=none "":dshow-adev=Stereo Mix (SoundMAX Integrated"" :dshow-size= :dshow-chroma= :dshow-fps=0 :no-dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner :dshow-tuner-channel=0 :dshow-tuner-country=0 :dshow-tuner-input=0 :dshow-video-input=-1 :dshow-video-output=-1 :dshow-audio-input=-1 :dshow-audio-output=-1 :dshow-amtuner-mode=1 :dshow-audio-channels=2 :dshow-audio-samplerate=44100 :dshow-audio-bitspersample=8 :sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=160,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=http,mux=raw,dst=biggy:1234}"

NOTE: Some of settings depend on your system settings:
C: \Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe - where is VLC installed on your system
:dshow-adev=Stereo Mix (SoundMAX Integrated - it depends how this recording device i s named in your system
:sout#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=160,channels=2,samplerate=44100} you can use ab=128 for lower quality but also lower bandwidth
:std{access=http,mux=raw,dst=192.168.1.10:1234} - replace 192.168.1.10 with the IP address or name of your PC which is going to stream content... not sure if "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" works but probably is.

you can test if VLC starts by doubleclicking the icon. Leave it open as we continue on...

Im wondering whether it would be possible to do something similar using OS X? The potential of this would be to control Grooveshark on my Macbook, and catch the stream on my receiver :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Check out a great little program called Audiogalaxy =)

OP
R
Reaction score
Check out a great little program called Audiogalaxy =)

Thanks for your advice!
I dont have my mac in hand at the moment, so I only know what ive been able to read on the webpage. Will this program make me able to stream grooveshark to my receiver? As far as far as I understood, its made for streaming mp3's :)

C

chas_m

You want to stream music FROM a computer TO a receiver, is that right?

Many, many ways to do this. Airport Express, AppleTV, third-party remote speakers, Airfoil ...

OP
R
Reaction score
You want to stream music FROM a computer TO a receiver, is that right?

Yup, exactly!

Many, many ways to do this. Airport Express, AppleTV, third-party remote speakers, Airfoil ...

Thing is, as I already have the Macbook on wifi, and the Onkyo is capable of receiving webradio streams, I would like to avoid buying more boxes and stuff.

Since it is possible to make a webradio stream from a pc like explained in the thread, I was hoping I could do the same using a mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.