iPhone4 compatible w/ old iBook?

Reaction score
I am considering the iPhone4 (never had any smartphone before) and one of the things I would like to be able to do is to sync my itunes to the phone. However, I have a 2005 iBook G4 OS X 10.4.11 which can only run iTunes9 since I don't have an intel based processor. I read that you need iTunes10 in order to sync with the iPhone4. Is there a way to get around this and still get my music onto the phone, or a way of updating my iBook so it can run iTunes10? I really don't want a new computer, this one still does everything I need.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As you've figured out..iPhone 4 needs iTunes 10 which needs a recent version of OS X which doesn't work on PowerPC based Mac's..

iTunes is the only way to truly manage content on the iOS devices, there might be other ways of getting music on there that you might find if you search the forums here and the Internet but I can't imagine that it'd be as straightforward as iTunes makes it out to be..

Alternatively you can pick up a Windows laptop or computer for VERY cheap and use iTunes on there and point it to the music in some accessible location and do all your sync'ing that way..

C

chas_m

Short answer: no, you cannot attach state-of-the-art new technology to something that old and expect it to work. This applies equally to all such examples.

You'll need to either get a newer computer or a dumber phone (Androids won't work with it either; see above).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.