2x1TB or 1x2TB?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am not technically knowledgable enough in these areas, and I'm sure people here are. Now hopefully i've posted this in the right forum.

Upon purchasing a Mac Pro, is there a difference in terms of performance (mainly read/write speeds, unless there is something else I should be considering?) between getting a 1TB drive in 2 HD bays of the MP and getting a single 2TB HD with 3 empty bays?

As a side note, I am waiting until the 15th of August for the new Mac Pro, after that I will settle for a current one, knowing it will be updated in the near future.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No reason to be worried about the read/write speeds of the disks, they are technically fixed anyway.
What could be a point of attention with the 2 x 1 TB disks is how you configure them.

You can create a so called RAID 0 level whereby you combine the 2 x 1TB disks as a single volume of 2 TB. Risks are that is you loose one disk in the volume, the complete volume will be gone ( and so will your data if you don't have backups )

The second option is to create a RAID 1 volume with the 2 x 1TB disks, giving you a capacity of 1 TB. Your data will be mirrored across the 2 disks and if you loose 1 disk, your data is still accessible via the other disk. Mind you, this configuration is not a replacement for a backup -_-

Check Wikipedia for an explanation on RAID @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Hope this helps.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.