New to Raids. Is it right?

Reaction score
So I've been looking and looking at HD's for the last year or so because mine was getting full and I also wanted to have something more secure then just a single drive. For a while i was looking at all the different two rive mirrored raid devices and had settled on a few different ones; Lacie, Western Digital, G-tech etc.
Well my single external finally filled up, so did my passport and then my MBP. I then spent the next couple day deciding what was the best way to get more space and security for the money.

I went with this and just received/set it up earlier today.

Newegg.com - Raidon SafeTANK Series GR5630-SB3 RAID Sub-System

With 4 1b WD green drive and the unit it cost juts about as much as the Lacie two HD mirrored raid 4tb and I get a whole other tb and raid 5 protection.

Back to my problem / I might be fine.
The only issue with this raid setup is that Raidon dosen't make a GUI for mac. Go figure. but they tell you to use the provided windows GUI to set the drive up for what ever raid you desire before using it with a mac. Of course I finally figure out how to do this. It was simple but a little confusing because the GUI didn't now where to find itself on the CD.

SO now i set it up to be Raid 5 with all 4 drives and plug it into my mac. Now my mac see it as one drive but it's not usable. I get the box that asked me to "initialize" "ignore" "eject". I ignore.

I go into the Disk Utility and "erase" the whole drive to be Journaled Extended with the name of my choosing. Angelus.

It not shows up on my desktop as one drive called Angelus with 3tb of storage. Exactly as I was expecting.

Now i just need to know if the drive is still a raid 5 or did I screw that up when i erased it in the Disk Utility.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Don't think this has anything to do with Community Suggestions - Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
is it hardware based RAID?

ahh it appears to be
if so, then no. Once it's set up .. it's set up. It'll just present as a single disk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.