two audi outputs for 1 apple tv

Reaction score
If I own an apple tv and connect it to a television through an hdmi cable, AND connect it to a stereo through the optical audio output, will both audio outs function?

To clarify: when I want to watch a movie, will the sound play through my TV (while the stereo is off, but the audio cable still plugged in)? and wqhen I want to listen to music, will sound play through my stereo (when the TV is off, but the hdmi cable is still plugged in)? Thank you for any assistance

OP
J
Reaction score
to double clarify, listening to the movie through the stereo is not a solution, I need separate independent audio outputs to function

also, im not talking about listening to music and watching a movie simultaneously, but rather - can i use airplay to listen to music on my mac through appletv/stereo sometimes, and then use appletv regularly to watch movies on the tv - without needing to unplug and replug the hdmi and the alternative audio cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.