• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My new tv

Reaction score
I bought a new tv this weekend and was going to tell anyone that's in the market. After searching Around I ended up buying a plasma HDTV I had my heart set on a led HDTV but in my neck of the woods I couldn't find one locally with the options I wanted. I purchased a panasonic tc-p55vt30 a 55" plasma 3d tv. In the package I bought I also recieved a panasonic 110 3d bluray player as well as 6 pair of panasonic 3d shutter glasses 2 mediums 4 smalls.

I have watched several movies on this set now and I can say honestly it's a better picture than I have seen on any of my other hdtvs as well as my friends. I bought avatar in 3d and that was simply amazing it blows 3d in the theaters away there is no comparison. I played cod black ops and to my surprise that's in 3d as well and it's amazing.

Over all I would suggest to take a peek at panasonic for your next purchase I really think u will not be disappointed.

I suck at reviews.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After searching Around I ended up buying a plasma HDTV

I played cod black ops and to my surprise that's in 3d as well and it's amazing.

Have you had or noticed any issues with "ghosting" or "image retention" with your plasma HDTV? Especially with games or news channels that have areas of the picture that do not change very often.

This is the biggest issue I have with my Samsung plasma TV...even though when I bought it...it was not supposed to have any of these issues.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's awesome. I have a similar Panasonic plasma (bought 4 or 5 months ago). I didn't get the 3D because 3D makes me sick (can't even watch it in the theaters anymore) and it was too expensive. Amazing product and solid build. Congratulations!

Nick, the first time I noticed any "ghosting" was pausing a movie and the word "Pause" stayed on the screen for about 5 or 10 minutes maybe. Afterwards I could barely just faintly see it in the top right corner where the black bar stretched across. It went away after an hour or so. No permanent ghosting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, the first time I noticed any "ghosting" was pausing a movie and the word "Pause" stayed on the screen for about 5 or 10 minutes maybe. Afterwards I could barely just faintly see it in the top right corner where the black bar stretched across. It went away after an hour or so. No permanent ghosting.

This is pretty much what I experience as well. The ghosting or image retention is usually not permanent...but the time it takes to go away usually varies. For example if I play a video game for 1-2 hours vs. (like you said) pause a movie for like even 15-30 seconds...there's a big difference in how long it takes for the image retention to go away.

- Nick

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Absolutely no ghosting or image retention issues There is a pixel orbiter built into the set that I have enabled as well as a scrolling bars function I use. From what the salesman said and the reviews I have read this panasonic line is not as prone to these issues.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
You know I don't like 3d in the theaters either I find that it gives me a headache and I loose interest in the movie. However IMO this is a different experience all together. I forgot to mention in my initial post I bought the 6 pairs of shutters then yesterday bought a additional pair of monsters for comfort as well as shutter rate for gaming.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely no ghosting or image retention issues There is a pixel orbiter built into the set that I have enabled as well as a scrolling bars function I use. From what the salesman said and the reviews I have read this panasonic line is not as prone to these issues.

My plasma TV has that as well...called "pixel shift"...but I still have had issues.:( I've been saying to the wife...I wish I thunderstorm would hit &"kill" the TV...then we would have a logical reason to get a new one!;)

Great to hear your TV works great!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've had a Panasonic plasma for several years now, I run the scrolling bars every once in a while.. and have not noticed any retention issues. So far, I've been pleased. When it's time to replace it I'll look at another.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Love both my Panny plasmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I bought a few Vizios a few years back and was pleasantly surprised with quality. I was happy it was assembled in America, but unfortunately it is assembled of foreign produced parts. It's sad we don't make TV's anymore. Anyhow, enjoy the Panasonic. I hear they are quite nice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I really like Plasmas for their contrast ratios. I have a friend with an older (2003-2004 vintage?) Samsung plasma and it's awesome. I've never noticed any ghosting on it, nor do I notice the "screen door" effect that they're supposed to have.

Meanwhile, I spent big bucks just a few years ago on a (now woefully outdated) Sharp AQUOS LCD TV and have not been impressed with it. Although it looks great dead on, if you sit at a slight angle to it, there are noticeable disparities in color saturation and balance. Also dark movies (some of the later Harry Potter movies, as an example) can be really hard to make out fine detail in them because the contrast ratio doesn't compare.

So, while plasmas seem passé these days, I really do think they make for a better viewing experience overall. I'll be looking at them when and if the Sharp burns out.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I really like Plasmas for their contrast ratios. I have a friend with an older (2003-2004 vintage?) Samsung plasma and it's awesome. I've never noticed any ghosting on it, nor do I notice the "screen door" effect that they're supposed to have.

Meanwhile, I spent big bucks just a few years ago on a (now woefully outdated) Sharp AQUOS LCD TV and have not been impressed with it. Although it looks great dead on, if you sit at a slight angle to it, there are noticeable disparities in color saturation and balance. Also dark movies (some of the later Harry Potter movies, as an example) can be really hard to make out fine detail in them because the contrast ratio doesn't compare.

So, while plasmas seem passé these days, I really do think they make for a better viewing experience overall. I'll be looking at them when and if the Sharp burns out.

Man you have expained my expierance exactly. I had a lcd that when I watched dark movies it was almost unbearable to watch. I actually already watched a few Harry potters on the new set and it was awesome. Bought green hornet in 3d today gonna give that a whirl.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Same here. We have an LCD in the bedroom but we don't watch movies on it and we view it straight on. The plasma is our living room TV. Watch a lot of movies on it and it sits at a 45 degree angle in a corner for viewing from the kitchen and the gaming (pool table) room as well (open floor plan). Great views from all angles and dark movies look awesome, especially with the lights out and blinds drawn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Same here. We have an LCD in the bedroom but we don't watch movies on it and we view it straight on. The plasma is our living room TV. Watch a lot of movies on it and it sits at a 45 degree angle in a corner for viewing from the kitchen and the gaming (pool table) room as well (open floor plan). Great views from all angles and dark movies look awesome, especially with the lights out and blinds drawn.
Wait, do you live in my house?!?

ohhh you said pool table.. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.