Tips on resuming timed-out Safari downloads

Reaction score
I did some Google searches and I've gotten conflicting info so I figured be safe and ask some experts here.

How can I resume downloads in Safari that have timed-out? I see how I can pause and resume downloads, but can a timed-out download be resumed as well? I searched for download managers and some claim to do this but seem to have compatibility issues with Lion.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I don't see why a timed out download can't be restarted. Did you try it? I don't think you can hurt anything. In my short time here it appears to me that most folks shy away from download managers for Mac. It seems that in many cases they are more trouble than what there worth.

I would try to restart the timed out download and let us know how it works.

Regards,

Pat

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't see why a timed out download can't be restarted. Did you try it? I don't think you can hurt anything. In my short time here it appears to me that most folks shy away from download managers for Mac. It seems that in many cases they are more trouble than what there worth.

I would try to restart the timed out download and let us know how it works.

Regards,

Pat

How do I try and restart it though?

If I look in the download window it shows how much downloaded with just the magnifying glass to view it in finder. Clicking on the link just asks to replace the partial file that downloaded and starts from the beginning again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
You may just have to restart it. It should not do any harm. Sounds like the website you are downloading from is very slow. I do not think it is a Mac issue. I don't know of any downloading program to help you with this. They seem to be troublesome on the Macs. At least that is how I read it on these forums.

I don't think you can start it from where it left off. You probably will have to start it over or download it at a time where the server may not be so busy.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Pat

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on the site you're downloading from. Some site servers allow a "resume" when the download times out, others do not. Of course your browser also has to be able to "resume". Looking at the current list of extensions for Safari, there is nothing available for resuming a download. I believe there are several for FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just get back on to the site and hit download. In Safari under Lion it does automatically resume from the drop off point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.