Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can assist me. I've recently installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp. Although it seems to working ok I seem to be having a problem with it when I attempt to go online. It will not connect to my network, therefore no broadband. I'm using a 1TB Time Capsule to run my wifi network for the home. Problem is, starting up on Mac OS I can surf the net etc. with no problem. As soon as I switch to Windows.......nothing.:Not-Amused:

Any ideas. I've contacted my ISP provider & their response is for me to contact Microsoft. I was hoping someone out there may be able to help or has encountered this problem before.Please bear in mind this is my first Mac. Still at the diaper stage. I would very much appreciate any help but in doing so can you please please pretend I'm a 90 year old computer illiterate novice (nothing against 90 year old computer illiterates);).Not real good at techno speak.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Assuming you followed the bootcamp installation instructions correctly however, you shouldn't have an issue.

Two things:

1) On the windows side- go into device manager and make sure there are no icons with yellow warning signs next to them. If there are it means you haven't installed all the drivers.

2) What particular error are you getting? Does your network appear in the connection wizard and just not connect? I'd like a little more info on what exactly happens when you try to connect to the network.

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought I did. Started from scratch again today. Same problem. I've been able to connect to the internet though. Only if I plug modem directly into Mac. Did the Device Manager thing, no yellow icons. So far as trying to connect to Time CApsule this is what I've attempted:
1. When connecting to wireless network the following message appears, "Windows unable to connect to selected network. The network may n longer be in range. Please refresh and try again"

2. When attempting to repair connection, " Windows could not finish this repair. Contact person operating this network"

Frustrating. If I attempt to connect to my neighbors network at least I get asked for a Network key.

If you don't mind, could you walk me through setting up a network with the connection wizard. At the moment I'm lost. The computer can see the network just won't connect.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Right now I'm at work so I'll have to try to do this from memory.
Basically, go into control panel>network and sharing center
There should be a menu on the right and one of the options should be Manage network connections.

From there you should see a list of any network connection you have made.
If you don't see your network on there click the plus sign at the top.

From there it should be pretty self-explanatory- just fill in the required fields. The only one you may have trouble with is specifying the security protocol- I'm not sure what Time Capsules use by default.

Before following those steps though:
Go into device manager and disable and then reenable the wireless network adapter.
Also open up a command prompt as an administrator Start>search (type in cmd)> right click>run as administrator.
When the command prompt opens type ipconfig /flushdns

Hope that helps:

PS: I've found that if you set the network channel on your router to one particular channel instead of auto it tends to have fewer connection issues like this. You may want to check these settings out.

Reaction score
Druggo:

This happens when you don't install the Boot Camp drivers - after finishing your Win7 installation, did you put your Mac disk in the drive? That should prompt the Mac to install the BootCamp 2.1 drivers that will allow Windows to see your wireless. Very simple.

Try that and then report back. All the above is troubleshooting for windows itself which is fine but without the drivers you've got nada. This step is part of the Boot Camp instructions.

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
stMFA

Thanks for your help. Sad to say I really am computer illiterate. Nothing works. ANTIQUATED HONEY you Windows 7. Glad I threw my PC away.

Sammy Slim

Deleted everything. Started from scratch again. Still nothing. Gonna just leave it as is. Don't need Windows that often anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You even installed the bootcamp drivers after you reinstalled windows?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah reinstalled all the drivers. Actually sat & physically watched to be certain everything was uploaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it still isn't working?
I'm thinking the issue is on the router side rather than the computer. Do you know how to log into your time capsules preferences using the Mac utility?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.