iBooks Performance Question

M

mjsw999

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 300MHz iBook with 68 MB RAM and I want to run OS X on it. All I want to use Microsoft Office and surf the net. Will this handle Jaguar if I upgrade to 160MB RAM? I noticed that the jaguar box says a G3 iBook needs 128MB ram to run it but from some of the other threads I've read this seems unlikely...

Also, is it difficult to upgrade RAM by yourself on an iBook?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

Cheers,

MJ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mjsw999 said:
Hi,

I've recently purchased a 300MHz iBook with 68 MB RAM and I want to run OS X on it. All I want to use Microsoft Office and surf the net. Will this handle Jaguar if I upgrade to 160MB RAM? I noticed that the jaguar box says a G3 iBook needs 128MB ram to run it but from some of the other threads I've read this seems unlikely...

Also, is it difficult to upgrade RAM by yourself on an iBook?

Thanks in advance to whoever replies.

Cheers,

MJ.

I would personally upgrade to 320 MB by installing a 256 MB chip. You can get one for around $50, and I think you'd be happier with the result on your iBook. As for installing it, it's very simple. Here's a link that should help you: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26244

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yup, stuff a little more RAM in there.. Max it out, if you can. That will make your experience much better. I've never used a Mac with a MHz rating less than my 800MHz iBook, so I can't say what it would be like to run anything on something of that speed. But RAM will definitely make it a more pleasurable experience. This goes for all computers, not just Macs. When it doubt, max it out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
OP
B

Bluecrabby

Replacing the memory in my iBook was really easy. I just popped the keyboard out. Removed the Airport Card, then used a eyeglass screwdriver to remove the metal "RAM sheild". The memort went right in and the only problem was that the screws were VERY tight, and I kinda twisted the screwdriver trying to remove them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Padawan said:
I'm pretty sure the older iBooks will not recognize more than a 256 MB chip in the expansion slot. Depending on the factory on-board configuration, the total max would be either 288 or 320 MB (320 in this case).

i took a look on my mactracker program and it says for the 300mhz iBook

Motherboard RAM : 32 or 64 MB
Maximum RAM : 544 or 576 (Actual) 288 or 320 MB (Apple)
Number of Sockets : 1 - PC66 3.3V 144-pin - SO-DIMM
Minimum RAM Speed : 10 ns

I am not sure how to interpret the Actual and Apple maximum ram's on it
It says that this computer would work with the latest version of OS X

OP
L

lzasitko

300 g3 max ram

trpnmonkey41 said:
i took a look on my mactracker program and it says for the 300mhz iBook

Motherboard RAM : 32 or 64 MB
Maximum RAM : 544 or 576 (Actual) 288 or 320 MB (Apple)
Number of Sockets : 1 - PC66 3.3V 144-pin - SO-DIMM
Minimum RAM Speed : 10 ns

I am not sure how to interpret the Actual and Apple maximum ram's on it
It says that this computer would work with the latest version of OS X

I just bought a 366 gs clamshell and installed a 512 meg card (done at a local Mac dealer, actually they installed) from a new iBook and it worked fine right off, I have been running it for around a month now and no problems at all. Mine came with a 128 meg card in it and had OSX and 9.2 installed and again it did run with the 128 card but slower than with the 512 card.

Apple is always conservative in ratings and at the time of the clamshell 512's were likely very difficult to find.

Larry Zasitko

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.