aperture importing help reqd

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
I'm new to aperture (had me first one to one lesson today at the apple store) the fella explained the aperture filing structure to me and I went home feeling i'd learn't loads

so i got home and imported a few 'projects' into aperture.....

when i looked in finder, In my pictures directory, the newly imported projects had imported into the main pictures directory... well thats no good is it ??

how do i set up aperture so it imports the photo's into the aperture directory, or another folder, rather than clogging up the main directory ??

thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm new to aperture (had me first one to one lesson today at the apple store) the fella explained the aperture filing structure to me and I went home feeling i'd learn't loads

so i got home and imported a few 'projects' into aperture.....

when i looked in finder, In my pictures directory, the newly imported projects had imported into the main pictures directory... well thats no good is it ??

how do i set up aperture so it imports the photo's into the aperture directory, or another folder, rather than clogging up the main directory ??

thanks
First of all forget about Finder with regards to your pictures. Let Aperture or iPhoto manage the file structure. All you will do is cause trouble and potentially lose your photos by messing around with them in Finder.

If you don't like where your Aperture Library is then move it. Aperture doesn't care. When you open Aperture it scans for Libraries on your drive, giving you the option to open or switch to your choice.
Conversely if you double-click on an Aperture Library it will automatically open it in Aperture.
HTH
Razormac

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
thanks for the reply fella....

I'm happy to let aperture sort the file structure out, however I have other photo directories in 'pictures' that I don't want to import or use aperture for.

All i want is that when i import an album in aperture, it doesn't dump the newly imported file into the main pictures directory as it clutters up other files I have in there.

can i set it up so aperture imports its files into a particular directory ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thanks for the reply fella....

I'm happy to let aperture sort the file structure out, however I have other photo directories in 'pictures' that I don't want to import or use aperture for.

All i want is that when i import an album in aperture, it doesn't dump the newly imported file into the main pictures directory as it clutters up other files I have in there.

can i set it up so aperture imports its files into a particular directory ?

Do I take it from your question that you have Aperture set to import into Folders instead of into an Aperture Library?
If that is the case, the answer is almost certainly, yes. . . but I don't use it that way so I would have to do some searching to be able to give you specific directions.
If you are importing into an Aperture Library (probably the best unless you have a reason not to) then all you have to do is move the Aperture Library wherever you please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.