Another Question

Reaction score
I Have the option of running " Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7 " as a virtual machine,

Is that a good program to get window programs on my Macbook Pro or what?

sorry for my recent posting I am just trying to find the best option.

Thanks,

P.S. Price is not a factor here

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Virtual PC was a product developed for old PowerPC Macs (i.e. not the Intel-powered models that have been on the market since 2006). It is no longer under development and not readily available. It also would not run on a modern Mac, nor does it have support for anything newer than Windows XP.

Your best option depends on what you intend to use Windows for. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short do not bother as it is slow as slow as slow to be painful. With a MBP run Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you both so much,

Please tell me if I am correct (I have read the Sticky but I am Still unclear)

When you bootcamp your computer you are essentially splitting the hard drive into Two Parts- In this case Windows 7 and OSX

But when you boot camp the computer there are no shared files between the Windows 7 and the Mac. It is like having two completely different computers.

Thanks so much, I am new to this and i just want to be informed

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Mac will be able to see the Windows partition (read-only), but not vice versa. And you will not run the two operating systems concurrently - you'll either boot into Windows or boot into OS X.

If you need enhanced read/write operations from both OSes to the opposite partition, there's a product called Paragon NTFS for Mac that provides that capability.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac will be able to see the Windows partition (read-only), but not vice versa. And you will not run the two operating systems concurrently - you'll either boot into Windows or boot into OS X.

If you need enhanced read/write operations from both OSes to the opposite partition, there's a product called Paragon NTFS for Mac that provides that capability.

so if is read only (I am assuming you are talking about bootcamp) I won't be able to run any programs off it? Sorry but what does "read only" mean in that context?

and what would be an example of "enhanced read/write operations" (I am assuming this only is applicable in a virtual machine)?

Thanks cwa107 for your help I really really appreciate it :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In OS X, you'll be able to read, but not write to the Boot Camp partition. Windows will not be able to see the OS X partition at all. Paragon NTFS comes with drivers that allow full read/write operations in both OSes.

OP
G
Reaction score
In OS X, you'll be able to read, but not write to the Boot Camp partition. Windows will not be able to see the OS X partition at all. Paragon NTFS comes with drivers that allow full read/write operations in both OSes.

I think i get it,

While in the Mac partition I can see my windows partition files but I can't "mess" with them or open them up.

While in the Windows partition I cannot see or "mess" with any of the Mac partition files.

And the only way to be able to see or mess with the other partition files is to get a program (paragon NTFS) that allows me to do it.

^^^am I right ^^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think i get it,

While in the Mac partition I can see my windows partition files but I can't "mess" with them or open them up.

Not necessarily true. Depends on what the file is. If it's just a .jpg, you can open it when booted into OS X. If it's something that requires a Windows-specific program to open, then you can not open it.

While in the Windows partition I cannot see or "mess" with any of the Mac partition files.

And the only way to be able to see or mess with the other partition files is to get a program (paragon NTFS) that allows me to do it.

Yes. and Yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.