• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

*sigh* Well at least Christmas is out of the way early...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
We sold our MacBook Pro 15" shortly after the iPad came out since we felt it'd better suit our needs, and we got enough for it to completely cover the iPad and then some. We've been completely satisfied with it in that respect. The other day, my wife started pining over how she misses having a laptop to take to work to do some stuff on the side when it's slow. I tried to point out that she could get a keyboard dock for the iPad, add word processing app to it, etc etc. All I got were frowns.

Today, she is the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Or will be when Best Buy gets new stock next week. At least I don't have to think about Christmas now. Sometimes I miss being single. Sometimes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Let me help ya out here... the two words you need to remember are...

"Yes dear."

;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's a nice machine. Had mine only a few days and I'm "beginning" to consider letting go of my iPad.

Haven't played any videos or games yet... but still, the fan has yet to come on. Did the first Time Machine backup with it sitting on the top of bare legs (while wearing shorts, just to be clear) - that def was not happening with the old MBP.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me help ya out here... the two words you need to remember are...

"Yes dear."

It's like a reflex for me, really.

It's a nice machine. Had mine only a few days and I'm "beginning" to consider letting go of my iPad.

That may ultimately happen to me. I like the iPad, but I'm not enamored with it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't blame her. The iPad is a neat toy, but the novelty wore off very quickly for me.

I just think Apple needs to do more to differentiate the iPad from the iPhone. What works great in a phone form factor, doesn't make nearly as much sense in the iPad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The nice thing about the iPad though is as long as you have a 3G model, even if you're out in the boonies like we are quite a bit, you can still connect to the net. Of course there are some boonies in Texas where the only way to connect to anything is with a satellite receiver. :p

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't blame her. The iPad is a neat toy, but the novelty wore off very quickly for me.

I'd agree, but the iPad would suffice perfectly well for what she wants to do. It's just a being-stubborn thing. She likes the shiny sometimes more than I do. Although the MBA in particular was my idea (she knew nothing about them), and I felt the used ones on the market were a bit overpriced compared to the new ones. Well hey… as long as I'm getting her one, I may as well get what I would want to *ahem* borrow too. :Cool:

I just think Apple needs to do more to differentiate the iPad from the iPhone. What works great in a phone form factor, doesn't make nearly as much sense in the iPad.

Agreed. I've actually been very disappointed in the iPad in a number of ways. I don't like it as an e-reader because the text just isn't sharp enough to my liking. It's also a terrible device for a multi-user environment. And the app market is really weak. There are a lot of games, but a lot are just up-sizes clones of their iPhone counterparts… at a premium (which really gets my goat). But so much of everything else is just a portal to a web site. A lot of them are actually BETTER than the web versions of those sites in a lot of ways (eBay, Amazon, iMDB, for ex), but an entire app for a web site is just overkill. And let's not overlook the negative impact that it is having. Some websites have completely overhauled their pages to cater completely to the iPad. TÚAW, for example, has fixed-width articles now that are designed for the iPad's resolution. And that's what I'm stuck with on my far-larger-than-iPad iMac's screen. It's really stupid. I'm also not too crazy about it being locked down like the iPhone. I really don't mind it on my iPhone, but I have gotten to dislike it on the iPad. There's just nothing about Android that appeals to me though. I am interested to see how Windows 8 on tablets works out when that day comes. What I'm reading about W8 has actually piqued my interest.

Anywho… time to get off the soapbox...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Today, she is the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Or will be when Best Buy gets new stock next week. At least I don't have to think about Christmas now. Sometimes I miss being single. Sometimes...

BELIEVE me...if you're like most other guy's...you'll end up buying your wife something else for Christmas!!! There's no way there won't be a gift under the 2011 Christmas tree from you with your wife's name on it.:)

This MacBook Air she just got was a..."Christmas in July" sort of thing!;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BELIEVE me...if you're like most other guy's...you'll end up buying your wife something else for Christmas!!! There's no way there won't be a gift under the 2011 Christmas tree from you with your wife's name on it.:)

Nah… that's it. I hate Christmas, and she knows it. I really, truly, utterly despise it. She'll get a card, but not likely much of anything else.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nah… that's it. I hate Christmas, and she knows it. I really, truly, utterly despise it. She'll get a card, but not likely much of anything else.

Well if you say so.:) I've given my wife "early" Christmas presents in the past...and still always ended up giving her something Christmas Day anyway. I would just feel way too guilty otherwise.

I agree...Christmas is a big pain in the butt (at least the shopping & gift giving part)...and a stressful time of year!

Hey...here's an idea. On Christmas Eve..."steal" the MacBook Air away from her when she doesn't notice...wrap it up...and give it to her a 2nd time on Christmas.;)

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

- Nick

You could always just put it back in the box and wrap it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
It's a sick little machine. 11 inch is stupid fast, and can drive some pretty intense screen savers on dual monitors even with the intel GPU. spanks my 9400m and core 2 duo, and is super thing. I'm a bit jealous, I gotta say. Though I'll probably use hers for video encodes. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.