I cannot see my mac disk under windows 7

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently upgraded from snow leopard to lion on my macbook pro mid 2010 15". Everything went smooth and I'm very happy with it.

I also use bootcamp running windows7 to play games mainly. After I upgraded to lion (ie not a clean install) and turned on FileVault, I had the BSD errors whenever I switched to bootcamp. I google'd it, found out I needed to change 2 files names and upgrade to bootcamp4.0 via an external disk. I did all that, and I now run bootcamp 4.0.

However my problem is that I cannot see the mac disk from the windows partition anymore. At first I could actually see it (windows would define it as "H:" instead of "MacHDD" as I named it) but everytime I tried to open it, it would just try to load for 2 minutes, and then give me a message that the H: drive needs to be formatted.

I installed macdrive, it didn't change anything.

I launched bootcamp 4.0 "windows support" from my external drive, and repaired bootcamp, then rebooted. Now I just can't even see the mac disk anymore.

On top of that, whenever I start windows, my session takes about 4-5 minutes to fully load (I believe its just because its looking for the mac disk, but can't find it).

If I go to "Manage disk" under windows, the mac partition appears as an Healthy primary partition with no volume name.

I can see my bootcamp partition from lion though and can move files around on it.

I tried to google this, and search on the forum, and I haven't found anything, please bare with me if this question has already been answered.

All my drivers are updated by the way.

Anyone got an idea about this?

And also, would I actually benefit from a clean install ? I heard people gain a few seconds on the boot time and reactivity under lion...

Thanks!

Gary

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
FileVault is your problem. Your Mac partition is encrypted - the only time the partition is accessible is when you've authenticated on OS X.

OP
G
Reaction score
Alright then I guess I'll have to turn FileVault of.

Thanks for your quick answer!

Reaction score
What is file fault? I just want to know because I am planning on bootcaming my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
FileVault is Mac's built in disk encryption software. FV used to only encrypt a user's home directory, leaving applications and other files unencrypted. With the introduction of Lion, FV now encrypts everything. Without the password, your entire drive is just scrambled data. Strong caution here - encryption should not be used if you don't have a good backup solution. I guess that could be said with or without encryption, but with encryption, a relatively minor data error can cause the entire volume to be rendered unreadable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.