Mac to Windows network

Reaction score
Hello all,

PC1 under Vista
Macbook with Mac OS 10.4

Same workgroup
Can ping from Mac to PC1 (not the way round)
Cannot connect to PC1 IP.

Please advise.
Thanx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are a lot of articles online about getting specific OS X and Windows versions to share nicely, so I'm sure you've already looked at one of those.

What I find most often when people ask the question here is that one or both of the machines has a software firewall turned on, or the software firewall is configured incorrectly. I'd check the respective settings on both boxes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

yeah, i went on the net looking for answers; couldn't find a solution.
Firewalls are on on all Windows 7 and Vista PCs and accessing/sharing is fine.. except from Mac to those Windows vista/7 machines and vice versa.

There are a lot of articles online about getting specific OS X and Windows versions to share nicely, so I'm sure you've already looked at one of those.

What I find most often when people ask the question here is that one or both of the machines has a software firewall turned on, or the software firewall is configured incorrectly. I'd check the respective settings on both boxes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

yeah, i went on the net looking for answers; couldn't find a solution.
Firewalls are on on all Windows 7 and Vista PCs and accessing/sharing is fine.. except from Mac to those Windows vista/7 machines and vice versa.

Most likely because they're in the same "Home group" and the firewall was pre-configured by 7ista. Unfortunately "Home groups" are not part of standard networking protocols. So, you'll likely have to experiment with manual settings on the source and target machines.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.