SSD of macs are based in??

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if apple SSD drives are flashed based or DRAM.
I've read that DRAM SSD has better performance, memory storage is not reduced over time but it wastes more energy.
But flash based dont consume to much energy, are cheaper but their memory stotage is reduced over time.

Is this true??? I just bought a mbp 15 with 256mb ssd and wanted to know if it was flash or DRAM based... Am i right about the types or ssd drives or wrong??? Which one is better?? Answer please. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Check this out through the manufacturer of the drive's web site as they are not 'Apple' drives, usually Toshiba etc. Use a Mercury Extreme from OWC and their drives are DRAM. Which is better? Read the marketing hype and make a guess. Flash reputedly has a shorter life span.

http://www.bitmicro.com/press_resources_flash_ssd.php

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually Harry, I believe DRAM technology is newer and more efficient than the older Flash based. Which is one reason why I favor the OWC SSD drives over others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Flash reputedly has a shorter life span.

10,000 cycles for MLC and 100,000 for SLC.. the stuff at the commercial level, it's MLC. Commercial stuff, like fiber channel server stuff.. is SLC flash generally, although MLC is making serious inroads into the Enterprise class.

NAND flash SSD is newer to the party than DRAM, as far as I can remember at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.