Colour detail confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
Hi all,

I have a white macbook that was bought brand new in March 2010 (first white one to come with multi touch pad).

I like to mess about in photoshop every now and again and the other day I was making something that was originally white, into black instead. On the Macbook screen it looked perfectly blended, all nicely black and merged well etc. The next day I looked at my finished creation on the work computer instead, to find that the area I had merged was a slightly grey looking black and you could make out the parts that I had coloured over.

Does anybody know why this might be? The screen at work is a 19" widescreen Viewsonic TFT, which isn't particularly amazing or anything.

I was under the impression that the newer Macbooks dealt with dark colours quite well these days? Especially with LED screens and better graphics cards?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You need to make sure your color profiles are the same.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.....how would someone go about checking this?

I forgot to mention the computer at work is a Windows based machine if that helps, but I wouldnt have thought this would make any difference when you are just looking at something on a screen?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dark colours

Hi all, I originally posted this in the images section but ive either not explained it fully enough, or have concluded not everybody looks in there, so was hoping for a possible solution in this section being a generic one.

I have a white macbook that was bought brand new in March 2010 (first white one to come with multi touch pad).

I like to mess about in photoshop every now and again and the other day I was making a shirt on someone that was originally white, into black instead. On the Macbook screen it looked perfectly blended with the black background, all nicely black and merged well etc. The next day I looked at my finished creation on the work computer instead (windows based), to find that the area I had blended was a slightly grey looking black and you could quite easily see the parts that I had colored over. I then had to re-color that part using MS paint, in order to get the correct shade of black.

Does anybody know why this might be? The screen at work is a 19" widescreen Viewsonic TFT, which isn't particularly amazing or anything.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads. The Lounge is for off-topic conversation only. No tech questions belong there at all.

If no one here is sure how to adjust the color profile in windows, you might try google with "windows change color profile" or something similar.

Reaction score
I can't speak for the white macBooks, but I have a MacBook Pro and I can confirm I get a good match between the screen on my MBP and larger iMac and Dell computer with a 24" monitor. Now all these are calibrated and profiled so there should be a good match.

The problem may be down to a difference in contrast of the two screens. Which is correct is difficult to say. You might like to try going into System Prefs on the Mac, select Displays and chose Color. Select calibrate, and try calibrating the MacBooks display. This may help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Now all these are calibrated and profiled so there should be a good match.

This is key. Without calibrating both, you can NEVER expect a match.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, that information was very helpful and it worked perfectly :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.