Deciding on an External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hi :) I need some help on deciding between two external hard drives that I am looking at.

I am a student, and I have a MBP. I am looking for something that is easy to use and reliable. I just want to be able to backup my music, files, etc.

Right now, I am looking at the OWC On-The-Go Pro (OWC OWCMS8U5S1GB8 1.0TB Mercury On-The-Go Pro... in stock at OWC) and the Western Digital My Passport SE for Mac (Welcome to Western Digital US Online Store). I've heard good and bad about both.

I am hoping that someone has had luck (or not so good luck) with one or the other to help me decide. I am not incredibly computer savvy, so I really just want something that works the best and is not complicated.

If you have any other suggestions, I would be open to that too.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
All my WD's are working great so far but as you know they can fail at any time its mechanical as well as electrical.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you! I think I am going to go with the WD. Upon further research into the OWC, it seems as though they actually use a Samsung drive, which I've heard to steer clear of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.