Nd Help Airport express and linksys e2500

Reaction score
Hi, i had this working with an older linksys wireless router but the router died. i bought a new wireless router (e2500). I have fios, the linksys router plugs into the fios router. The way i want it to work is to connect the airport by ethernet to the linksys router and be able to use itunes on a PC desktop connected to the fios router. I had this working but i cant remember how. Here is a picture:
airport2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new
I have to ask...why are you trying to hardwire the Airport express (which is a wireless device) to the router? From your photo, it appears you are trying to play music from the computer to the stereo? Correct?

OP
E
Reaction score
I have to ask...why are you trying to hardwire the Airport express (which is a wireless device) to the router? From your photo, it appears you are trying to play music from the computer to the stereo? Correct?

if you look at the diagram, i have a fios router downstairs, but my wife does not like wireless right there when she is working, so that is disabled, in the closet where the AXP and the cisco router are, i have a need for 4 ports for my tv, dvd and slingbox. Also the AXP runs hot so i only use it when i can, this is just about airtunes, nothing else, if there was an easier way i would do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new
You can setup the AXp anywhere though, you don't need it to be connected to anything but a ac outlet and your receiver to work. I run my AXp in my office with my stereo plugged in and play I tunes from it daily. I have my AXp configured via apple supported method after many hours of searching... AirPort Express: How to join an existing wireless network in client mode
There is simply no need to have anything wired to run AirTunes....enjoy!
Reset the AXp and try this method without any wires other than the output to the stereo

OP
E
Reaction score
You can setup the AXp anywhere though, you don't need it to be connected to anything but a ac outlet and your receiver to work. I run my AXp in my office with my stereo plugged in and play I tunes from it daily. I have my AXp configured via apple supported method after many hours of searching... AirPort Express: How to join an existing wireless network in client mode
There is simply no need to have anything wired to run AirTunes....enjoy!
Reset the AXp and try this method without any wires other than the output to the stereo

I think you are right if my itunes was on my laptop with a wireless connection, my itunes is on a desktop plugged into the fios router via ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bad...do you not have a mac?

OP
E
Reaction score
yes sorry, my daughter does but mine is a pc, but thanks i appreciate it, what someone suggested is i have to set up my cisco wireless router in bridge mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to have the AXp setup as a bridge mode...
Connect the Express to the stereo and network via the Ethernet jack. Then open up the AirPort Admin Utility and select "Configure Your Base Station". Clicking on the AirPort tab shows a Base Station Options button. After clicking that button, find "Enable AirTunes over Ethernet" option. Save and open iTunes.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks

You need to have the AXp setup as a bridge mode...
Connect the Express to the stereo and network via the Ethernet jack. Then open up the AirPort Admin Utility and select "Configure Your Base Station". Clicking on the AirPort tab shows a Base Station Options button. After clicking that button, find "Enable AirTunes over Ethernet" option. Save and open iTunes.
Thanks, that did it, Raff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.