Lion and old Epson printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
:Grimmace:

I updated my new iMac to Lion. I have an old Epson 1400. It works in Lion, however, now I can not view my ink cartridge dialogue box. I can't print any longer because one of the ink cartridges is low but Lion does not allow me to see which one. I sure hope Epson created new drives for Lion. Has anyone else had this issue?

** Update: I did find that I had to replace the black ink cartridge in the Epson Utilities box.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the Epson web site for new drivers. In the meantime, if you get a low ink warning and it refuses to print, you'll have to physically examine the ink tanks to see which is low. A pain, but until new drivers are issued (if they're ever issued) that's what you'll have to do.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check the Epson web site for new drivers. In the meantime, if you get a low ink warning and it refuses to print, you'll have to physically examine the ink tanks to see which is low. A pain, but until new drivers are issued (if they're ever issued) that's what you'll have to do.

Thanks. This brings up a new question. Why is it that I did NOT have to download or install the drivers for my old Epson printer and Scanner? The new iMac already had them installed! Interesting. So, shouldn't the new Lion OSX automatically download them? Do I even need to download drivers anymore? Yes, this is a serious question. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lion will download new printer drivers only if they're available from the manufacturer. It seems for the most part that the Snow Leopard drivers which were carried over to Lion during the update work. At least I haven't seen any major problems with printers and scanners in Lion. There are going to be exceptions of course. Not much you can do about that.

Reaction score
epson 1400

Works fine in Lion. I have 3 of them . To check Ink status without a pc, depress the red blinking ink light on the 1400 It will tell you which cartige is out. Make sure you have ALL MAC software updates installed..

Open up the printer utility when printing. It will show you Ink levels.. Need to be on a USB port, NOT a network. Wont show levels on a network

Reaction score
photoshop cs5 and epson 1400 lion

on LION, photoshop cs5 cant get thru to epson 1400, sees driver but wont allow me into print settings, and when I try and print says error---anyone run across this problem.

Reaction score
I am using the 1400 today.. I am pringint jpg files in preview with no problems..make sure you have the latest epson files There was an upgrade after lion..

Reaction score
yes everything's been updated and I can print from preview too, but preview is giving me limited options, not with the kind of options that I had before, where I could control the color. and photoshop wont let me print thru to the epson 1400 at all--There's apparently an extension that appears not to be downloading properly, I've emailed epson, Lion isn't connecting through to Epson's printer options with Preview, it's just using a generalized set--and photoshop requires complete connectivity and for that matter, so do i--

Reaction score
I figured it out. Its not Lion. It was in the advanced Photoshop Print setup options, the color management was out of whack. There's a side bar in Photoshop print box that allows you to choose between whether Printer or Photoshop controls colors. I had the Printer controlling colors, but it had flipped back to an auto set using a different Epson Color Management than the Adobe 1998 Color Management which I had set before, and this lack of synchronicity kept the Printer Options from opening AT ALL.

I transferred Color Control to Photoshop in the side bar and was able then to open up Print Options and fix it in both places. Weird glitch.

Reaction score
epson 1400

hello

How do i access my ink saturations for my epson 1400 with mac OS X 10.7.2
no problem with windows can't find it in mac

Thanks

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello

How do i access my ink saturations for my epson 1400 with mac OS X 10.7.2
no problem with windows can't find it in mac

Thanks

It's tricky. Here's how I do it.
Have your computer ON and CONNECTED to your OS X Lion Computer. I forget sometimes. ;)
Go to the Apple. Choose System Preferences.
Choose Print & Scans. Choose Epson Stylus Photo 1400.
Choose Open Print Queue... Choose Utility.
Click Open Printer Utility
Click The Epson Status Monitor icon on the l owed left.
You will see a dialog box of the ink cartridges and what their status is conceding how much there is left.

leftink.jpg

Reaction score
Ink saturation

Thanks Maclover

but i am not looking for ink levels,
i'm looking for the advanced settings that you have in windows, that i cannot find in mac.

to be able to increase ink saturation on different substrates

http://i54.tinypic.com/29zbkpg.jpg

photo attached

Thanks for your help.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Maclover

but i am not looking for ink levels,
i'm looking for the advanced settings that you have in windows, that i cannot find in mac.

to be able to increase ink saturation on different substrates

http://i54.tinypic.com/29zbkpg.jpg

photo attached

Thanks for your help.

Oh, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reaction score
Lion and old Epson Scanner

:Grimmace:

I updated my new iMac to Lion. I have an old Epson 1400. It works in Lion, however, now I can not view my ink cartridge dialogue box. I can't print any longer because one of the ink cartridges is low but Lion does not allow me to see which one. I sure hope Epson created new drives for Lion. Has anyone else had this issue?

** Update: I did find that I had to replace the black ink cartridge in the Epson Utilities box.

Hi there. After searching Epson for an update driver (they don't have one) for my old Epson Perfection 1240U, I discovered that Image Capture could see and operate the scanner. No info on ink levels but it saves me buying a new scanner which I don't use that often.

Reaction score
PSCS 5 Lion and Epson 1400

PS crashes everytime I try to print. Just upgraded to Lion and using the Epson 1400.
All software is up to date.

Reaction score
It worked for me!

It's tricky. Here's how I do it.
Have your computer ON and CONNECTED to your OS X Lion Computer. I forget sometimes. ;)
Go to the Apple. Choose System Preferences.
Choose Print & Scans. Choose Epson Stylus Photo 1400.
Choose Open Print Queue... Choose Utility.
Click Open Printer Utility
Click The Epson Status Monitor icon on the l owed left.
You will see a dialog box of the ink cartridges and what their status is conceding how much there is left.

MACLOVER, You ROK! I've seen people listing solutions for this issue but none of them have worked...until yours. Thanks very much

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACLOVER, You ROK! I've seen people listing solutions for this issue but none of them have worked...until yours. Thanks very much

Why thank you very much! You made my day! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.