Lion and Network Sharing - Help Please !!!!!!!

Reaction score
As you will read further you will realize that i am technically challenged...so please ignore any basic boo boos and goof-ups.

Ok, so i upgraded to Lion from SL...and was super excited about it too (before the upgrade...not that i am unhappy right now either..except for this one major issue).

I use a Macbook Pro..at work as well...and at work we have a windows sharing network...on SL i didn't have any problems with sharing...but right after the upgrade..no one at work can access my computer! I haven't changed any of the settings, everything is still enabled for file sharing..the AFP and SMB is all the same.. no changes in any of that.. i didn't even touch it.. but still no one can access my files.

this is an absolute nightmare. i would like to resolve it without having to go back to SL :( please.

Any help, suggestions, advise will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to proper forum as it does not belong in the "Lounge". Please read forum descriptions before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
System preferences > sharing > Make sure file sharing is checked then look at the
box at the right make sure this is what you want shared and in the next box to the right look to see if the correct users are listed both can be edited with the +/- button
at the bottom of each box. You also have an option button for AFP or SMB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I have the same problem. Prior to the Lion upgrade I could connect to a share on a Windows server. Since the update, I can no longer connect. It no longer accepts my user name and password - neither of which have changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I rechecked everything and now I CAN connect to a Windows Share. But I still can't connect to a shared folder on the Mac FROM a windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
Same problem. Worked before Lion. Can see Windows shared folders on MBP but cannot see MBP shared folders on Win 7 Desktop.

When I go to Systems Preferences/Sharing/Options, "Share files and folders using SMB(Windows) is checked. Shows my two Mac Users under Accounts with neither checked. When I check one of users, asks me for the password for that user. Although I entered the correct password it says password is incorrect. Same result for either user. Have tried typing in password repeatedly, carefully one character at at time. Simply will not recognize as correct password.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got connections FROM a Windows machine TO the Mac share working again. Everything appeared to be set up as it was before. However, I went into System Preferences\Shared Folders and for each shared folder I went to the menu item Apply Permissions to Enclosed Items and picked it. Once I did that, I could connect once more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Same problem. Worked before Lion. Can see Windows shared folders on MBP but cannot see MBP shared folders on Win 7 Desktop.

When I go to Systems Preferences/Sharing/Options, "Share files and folders using SMB(Windows) is checked. Shows my two Mac Users under Accounts with neither checked. When I check one of users, asks me for the password for that user. Although I entered the correct password it says password is incorrect. Same result for either user. Have tried typing in password repeatedly, carefully one character at at time. Simply will not recognize as correct password.

Any suggestions?

I'm experiencing the same problem when trying to type in my password!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm continuing to experiment, but still cannot see my MBP shared folders on my Win 7 desktop, although I CAN see my shared Win 7 folders on my MBP.

Bob Stan - You said the "Apply Permissions . . . " technique worked for you. Since I'm still very new to the Mac world, could you step through the process you used in detail including any windows that might appear during the process. I don't want to make a mistake and screw things up even worse.

Anyone else get it working? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Continuing research seems to indicate that Apple's decision to drop Samba from the Lion OS is creating the problem that I and some others are experiencing. Is this true and can someone more savvy about Lion, folder sharing with Windows, and Samba provide a layman's explanation of what's going on?

Also, I haven't been able to find any simple workarounds. Is this something that we'll simply have to live with if we ant to use Lion or is it something Apple will address in an update? Thanks for any info to help me understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After being able to share the files on my iMac with a windows machine for over a week, it stopped working. I tired for two days to get it working with no luck. Kept getting the message "Incorrect Password" on the windows machine. Today I went back into Sharing, removed the user from rights to share a folder, put the user back and now it works (Who knows for how long?) This is really strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.