Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

Reaction score
I'm having serious problems connecting to the wireless network at my college.

The Techie dude at the college that deals with all the network stuff is not helping at all.

All the windows laptops are able to connect to it but my iBook can't.

I was talking to a girl in college who has a Powerbook and she can't connect either.

My Airport card doesn't even detect the network. I know there is no fault with my card because I have no trouble automatically connecting when I'm at McDonalds.

Can anyone help???? THe only info I have is that I have the name of the network and it doesnt need a password. I gave my mac address to the admin and signed all the forms for conditions of use and he said that he has enabled me to connect to the network.... he's use to working with Windows PC's... maybe there is something about the MAC address of my iBook that he doesnt know???

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Shane :eek:neye:

F

Fallooza

try this. Network conect>> Airport>>Network>>other>>(type in network name)
thats the only thing i can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
a MAC address is a MAC address regardless of what OS is being used.

im guessing that they have turned off the SSID so you need to manually enter this, and i will almost bet money that there will be a WPA/WEP key that you need.

Go and ask the admin staff for the SSID and the Encryption key, you might get a little further

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
In airport network prefs select prefered network instead of automatic. Select add and type in the name of the network and use no encryption. Click apply.

F

Fallooza

iRock said:
I'm having serious problems connecting to the wireless network at my college.

The Techie dude at the college that deals with all the network stuff is not helping at all.

All the windows laptops are able to connect to it but my iBook can't.

I was talking to a girl in college who has a Powerbook and she can't connect either.

My Airport card doesn't even detect the network. I know there is no fault with my card because I have no trouble automatically connecting when I'm at McDonalds.

Can anyone help???? THe only info I have is that I have the name of the network and it doesnt need a password. I gave my mac address to the admin and signed all the forms for conditions of use and he said that he has enabled me to connect to the network.... he's use to working with Windows PC's... maybe there is something about the MAC address of my iBook that he doesnt know???

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Shane :eek:neye:
please post back so i can see who was right. thanks

OP
I
Reaction score
Tried all of that and still no hope!

Another thing I was thinking of was.... I hope I gave him the right mac address... I just gave the first number I saw.

I went to preferences, network, airport and there was a number e.g. 24314; 2423; 64, you get the idea. Thats the MAC address right??

So what exactly do I need to ask for??? I know for a fact there is no password for the network.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input... no one seems to be able to help here.

OP
I
Reaction score
inflexion said:
a MAC address is a MAC address regardless of what OS is being used.

im guessing that they have turned off the SSID so you need to manually enter this, and i will almost bet money that there will be a WPA/WEP key that you need.

Go and ask the admin staff for the SSID and the Encryption key, you might get a little further

Sorry to bother ya but how do I manually enter the SSID???

Would you be able to show me with a screenshot perhaps???

Thanks

Appreciate it.

Shane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its the network name.
go to the airport icon then click on Other.....
this is the SSID and has to be correct otherwise it wont connect

as for the mac address you gave them the AirPort ID number yea?
mine starts 00:0a:95 etc just double checking

OP
I
Reaction score
Oh right,

Yeah I have tried that and still no luck. It isn't very fair that they don't bother because Im using a Mac.

Yeah for the MAC address I gave them the Airport I.D

What else could I do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only other thing you could do is get the settings of someone with a windows machine check the settings on there and copy them onto your mac

OP
I
Reaction score
Not a bad idea...... I'll try that when I get a chance and I'll let you all know how I get on.

On the other hand........................

Is there any software that I can get that will detect the network and let me join it automatically???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" powerbook
as long as the ssid is being broadcast then you will be able to join the network automatically, assuming the network is not password protected. you can also use a program called macstumbler to search for wireless networks.

OP
I
Reaction score
bsmith08 said:
as long as the ssid is being broadcast then you will be able to join the network automatically, assuming the network is not password protected. you can also use a program called macstumbler to search for wireless networks.

Cool

So, if I use Macstumbler will it give me the option to join the network once I have found it??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.