My external HD works on one computer and not another. why?

Reaction score
So, I have this two year old 320GB toshiba external HD. It works with a USB cable.

When I plug it into my MBP (from 2009) it works. When I plug it into my MacBook from 2007, the light on it comes on but I cant' mount it. I've opened Disc Utility and I dont ever see it there.

How can I fix this? Any thoughts? I have used other portable external HD's on that MacBook so I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the USB ports on your 2007 MacBook are not putting out enough power to spin up the Toshiba. Try a double USB cable to see if that works.

OP
O
Reaction score
I used to use it on that Macbook without a problem. Is that something that can change over time? This computer is definitely old and creaky.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep. It's possible the USB ports are not putting out enough power due to their age or they may not be working at all. Plug some other USB devices in them to see if they respond.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.