help with my mac

Reaction score
i have recently installed windows7 on my mac via bootcamp and now like a true novice managed to delete mac osx leaving me with windows7, any one know how i can get osx back on my mac !! its doing my bar steward melon in. many thanks to anyone who can help ive already wasted 3 days of my life that ill never get back :(

ive partitioned my hard drive in the hope i could install osx on it then delete windows but cannot get windows7 to recognise the osx boot disc , it only gives the option of updates and drivers for windows

many thanks
leedsguy

Reaction score
Your only option would be to boot from your OSX disc, reformat your drive in its entirety, and reinstall OSX over Win7. Then, reinstall Win7 correctly via BootCamp. Or, more safely, install it in a virtual machine.

OP
L
Reaction score
hi i am now having problems getting my mac to boot from disc, i understand the easiest way is to enter the bios menu , but i tried pressing f8, esc, f1 and many others but the only menu i get is the 1 that contains safe mode, lst gd config, ect and there is no boot from disc option so i presume im entering the wrong startup menu :/ any ideas?
cheers for your help sammyslim much appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, there is no BIOS menu in a Mac as they use EFI. What I suggest doing first is to reset your PRAM clearing out the Windows junk and then try again to boot from your Snow Leopard DVD. Follow the directions from the Apple KB. LINK

That should work if everything else is OK. If you need more assistance after that, post back to this same thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you set Windows 7 up to show the Boot Camp Control Panel, try and locate the OS X boot disk there prior to formatting.

Reaction score
reset your PRAM clearing out the Windows junk
I see no evidence in leedsguy's original post for this being Windows itself's fault - just a little rookie mistake made during the install process...

Before you accuse me of it, I'm not saying this to "defend" Windows, per se - I have my own share of issues with it, hence my use of Ubuntu on my PC - it just seems misleading to leedsguy to assign blame there...

Reaction score
hi i am now having problems getting my mac to boot from disc, i understand the easiest way is to enter the bios menu , but i tried pressing f8, esc, f1 and many others but the only menu i get is the 1 that contains safe mode, lst gd config, ect and there is no boot from disc option so i presume im entering the wrong startup menu :/ any ideas?
Just press & hold the C key as the computer reboots with the OS X disk in the drive to boot from said disk.

That will boot the computer into the OS X installer. From this point you will need to do a clean format & re-install, so if you've got any files on your Windows 7 install you want to keep back them up first!

Once you've re-installed OS X you can try your luck with Boot Camp again; if so I'd advise that you print-out the entire Apple on-line guide to using Boot Camp, and also the parts of the Microsoft on-line Windows install guide about doing a "custom install" without formatting your HDD - so as to make sure you know exactly what to do at each point!

If you're not comfortable trying Boot Camp again, then a virtual machine would be worth looking into...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.