Can't get USB connection to 2Wire router/modem working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000SW that I would like to use for both my NAS drive and my Mac.

When I have my Mac using ethernet I can get my internet/network connection going no problem. But when I put the NAS on ethernet and the Mac on usb I get no connection going on the Mac and I can't get it configured to work (not that I really know how it is supposed to be configured). It seems to think it is dial up when connected via usb.

I requested help from 2Wire support and they claim that I should be able to just plug it into usb and it will work. No configuration needed. Well it doesn't. I know I used the usb for internet years ago on a pc and there was no problem so it seems it should work.

Does anyone know how/what to configure so this will work?

When I initially plug it in and then boot up I get a message about a new network device or something like that, so it does know it is there. But then when I go into the configuration nothing I do works and it shows a telephone handle next to that connection icon. Also, the Mac calls it "2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet".

TIA for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.